Logo

270 hp missing?

capemaydiamond

Contributing Member
i took the boat out today and both engines purred on the way out of the marina until i throttled them up when the port engine started to sputter and pop out of the carb and the starboard motor ran really rough. i was able to make it back to the slip and both engines were running really rough when the port stalled. i had a buddy crank it for me while i checked it out and it would not start, just pop and sputter and i noticed the battery for that engine started to smoke at the positive terminal and was burning hot. is it possible that a bad battery or a bad cable could cause this condition to both engines? i had the same problem on my last trip last year with the boat and when the engines cooled they started right up and purred like a kitten.:confused:

The hot teminal was probabably caused by all the cranking and I would look to fuel issues for the rest of it. When was the last time you changed your fuel filters. and do both engines feed off the same tank?

yea that's what i was worried about. i have one tank for both engines. the boat ran flawless every weekend last season until the final cruise, so i guess changing all the filters will be the first course of action and go from there. thanks for the advise.

What I do at the begining of each season since the wonderful addition of ethonol is hook up a electic fuel fump to the fuel line before the filter. I then pump about a gallon of fuel out and into a clear milk jug. I then see how it looks. I have yet to not end up with at least a quart of water or worse in that 1st gallon

Excellent idea! Had I done this myself (and I'm about to) it would have saved me a bunch of trouble!

Here's what you're looking to remove (see photo): the white gook at the bottom of the bottle is that 4th liquid that forms in the tank thanks to ethanol. Not only will it not burn, no known additive will eliminate it AFTER it forms (and it goes right through filters). it,Only pumping the bottom of the tanks out will get rid of it.

Jeff

Attachments

• Gook.JPG
    Gook.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 66
Two issues there...1) that reduces your usable fuel capacity and 2) it doesn't eliminate the root cause of the issue. that crude will continue to accumulate and needs to be removed.

Also the water will go to the bottom and can lead to corrosion and a leaking tank. Get the gunk in the bottom pumped out, periodically spot checking it in a clear container.

well i checked the fuel in my tank and it was clean as could be with no signs of water, but i did find that one of my positive battery cables was loose and when it would heat up from wiggleing around both motors started to break up. the cable cooled down the engines ran fine. so i took all of the cables off and cleaned and retaped them, replaced the batteries and the motors run beautiful. its amazing that something so simple can cause such a problem. thanks for your help guys and now i also know my fuel is in good shape

but i did find that one of my positive battery cables was loose

With respect.....

For 43 years I flew aircraft

I have owned a variety of boats for 37 years.

In both cases I would not set foot in either craft unless I did a complete "walk-around" and in the boating world the additional check is a close inspection of the engine compartment, (smell of gas...unknown fluids on the deck, loose or broken wires etc)

My boating operation certainly does not encompass any salt water or rough sea states but we all know that a boat engine, and its associated components, normally get a rougher ride than that of the family automobile....and things can come loose.

To be on the safe side and have a worry free voyage I would suggest that a check of the "heart" of your vessel be looked over prior to each "mission".....that small amount of time may save you from a world of grief.

Happy and worry free ;)boating.....

Always a good thing when it is a simple fix. I just changed out the filters and did my usual pump a gallon out and as ussual had a bit of crud/water when I was done. About a quart between the two tanks.

I've got an issue with water/crud in one of my tanks. If I just pump out about a gallon will this take care of the problem or will I need to pup out the whole tank? I've got a photo but for some reason i can get it to attach?? I drained my Fuel/Water separator into a jar and about 1/8 of it was water and a thin layer of brown crud that settled to the bottom.

If the fuel is ethanol laden and hasn't started to decompose, you can pump the tank from the bottom, removing the crud and the water...if it has started to separate, you'd be better off in the long run emptying the whole thing.

Back