Logo

25R71S Powerhead removal

kevin_stinton

"I need to remove the powerhea

"I need to remove the powerhead on my old 25HP unit but I cant get at one of the bolts at the back directly under the Carbuertor.
The only way I can see that I would be able to get at it would be to undo all 3 rubber mounts, but I havent been able to free the Exhaust housing from the swivel post yet.
Does the upper front rubber mount have a tapered shaft which is holding it all together? Does it need a lot of pressure to separate, or is there anything else I need to look out for?"

You didn't say what year t

You didn't say what year the motor is but you shouldn't have to undo the rubber mount...An offset box wrench is usually all that's needed...if you have to...you can modify the wrench by heating it red hot and bending it to fit...You can also use a grinder to change the thickness if needed. You can also remove the carburetor for better access...Good Luck

"The Engine is a 1971 model. I

"The Engine is a 1971 model. I'm not sure I can get any kind of tool onto this bolt, even if I modify it. I'm guessing that it could only have been fitted before the Ehaust housing was assembled onto the Swivel Post during manufacture because it's really hard to get at and the access is very narrow.
Has anyone taken this particular model apart in the past? I'm scratching my head over this one."

I am not sure what the problem

I am not sure what the problem is with this job.It is usually easy. Some bolts from underneath at the back and nuts from the top at the front.No need to fiddle with mounts.

"A picture speaks a thousand w

"A picture speaks a thousand words as they say, so here is a photo of the last bolt I am trying to remove that goes up into the Motor casting.
Sorry for the blurry image, it was hard to get the camera in position.
You can see the swivel post on the left of the image and the arrow indicates the position of the bolt.

170923.jpg
"

"I have managed to remove the

"I have managed to remove the powerhead at last!
Now I need to split the crank case to get at the con rod bolts.
I have removed the inlet manifold and all six bolts on the outside of the crank case, plus the two internal hexagonal bolts.
Is there a gasket between the two halves of the cylinder and crank case housings?
I couldn't find one on the ishopmarine.com breakdown PDF.
If not, how do I re seal the assembly when I have finished?
Anybody stripped down one of these old machines before?"

Back