Logo

25hp shift shaft retaining removal

JPRobinson

Anyone know a good way to remove the retainer? I believe it is just pressed in, but almost impossible to get ahold of it. My first thought is to make a special clamp to put on the shift shaft, tap on the clamp and let the shift cam and washer knock it out. Any thoughts?

That is the correct way to do it but you need to pull the carrier and propshaft also
1715518935869.png

That is the correct way to do it but you need to pull the carrier and propshaft also
View attachment 32489
Now I am confused. I've seen information that says that to adjust the shift shaft length you either rotate the shaft one way or the other. I fail to see how that changes the length with the shaft pined to the wedge. Any info on that? I bought the Big repair book and it has almost nothing on the lower unit for the 25. Odd because it has 10 pages devoted to the 2.5/3.3 Also, I am curious what book your drawing came from?

You must have Selco manual which is best used as emergency toilet paper. Mine is from factory manual and you are correct on your assumption

You must have Selco manual which is best used as emergency toilet paper. Mine is from factory manual and you are correct on your assumption
Yes. It is getting returned today. Where can I obtain a factory manual? I haven't been able to locate one in a search. So there is no adjustment to the shift shaft?

Back