Logo

25hp no start still problems

Well Im back, not good news this motor is driving me crazy. So to review no start, good comp, weak spark, checked stator and trigger with ohm meter within specs, replaced plugs, replaced coils, replaced CDI unit, now have great spark great comp (130psi) both cyls, found when I installed the timing plate I had off to check stator installed a screw into one wrong hole and had plate actually locked would not rotate, repaired that plate rotates fine now, rebuilt carb, replaced fuel pump after I noticed it was getting its vacuum from #1 cyl which originally this was cyl that was getting so much fuel it was actually spraying fuel out spark plug hole while cranking over and with the original weak spark was fouling out plug. Thinking timing problem possible, brought #1 cyl up on TDC flywheel marks on zero, did notice that tiller linkage slightly worn and when you come off W.O.T. it will not return plate the the exact starting position which is in line with roller on throttle linkage to carb. But not off far enough to make a no start situation and I even manually positioned timing plate into correct position and tried to start, nothing.
So getting great spark, good fuel, good comp, but all engine will do is backfire thru exhaust when trying to start no attempt to even come close to starting. Still thinking something with timing. My next step is to put on a timing light and turn over to see just where exactly the plugs are firing at in relationship to marks on flywheel. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated. Is there any thing else that if I find spark not at correct time with comp stroke I can look into.
Another note under the flywheel I was surprised that everything on this motor is all enclosed within the stator, no individual charging coil or trigger which I do not fine anything about this in any parts break downs I have seen any info on this would be appreciated. Looking for a direction to turn before I throw this motor out and look for a different one. But like most mechanics I will not be satisfied until this one is running I have never allowed any motor to get the best of me yet and will not start with this one.
Thanks for any comments

Sorry for the delay I never can find my old post once I return to form. Model is E25ECIM, 1981, I think I may have found the problem, I was originally told that both plugs fire at exact same time similar to a snowmobile engine. but after following schematic electric diagram and color coding the coil wiring to each correct cyl found had wires crossed once switched around engine fired now just need to put in water and start and see how it runs. And check final timing advancement.

The 77-early 80s electric start stators are sealed units. Are you spark plug wires on the correct plug? How did the flywheel key look when you pulled it off?

Found the problem the last person to work on had crossed the wires in the 3 wire plug coming from the CDI box to the coils.
Thanks for all the help on this it drove me crazy until I got a wiring diagram and just started checking all wiring.

Back