Logo

25Hp Johnson (2000) - Water Flow & Relief Port

Deano_G

G'day Folks.

Picked up a new to me 25Hp Johnson (M.Y 2000, J25RLSSE), and gave it a run on the weekend. Everything appears to be in order (start first pull, pumps good water out indicator and exhaust ports, runs well [24knts on a 12' tinny !] , didn't seems to overheat), however during use I noted water coming out a port on the front of the motor below the tiller handle (pic attached). Only happens from ~50% throttle and upwards.

I had a look through the workshop manual and couldn't see anything obvious that speaks about this. It appears to be an engineered feature as opposed to a random leak point. Can anyone offer any clarity, is this normal behaviour, is it some type of overflow / relief port?

Tks, Dean,

Attachments

• 25Hp Water Outflow - Small.jpg
    25Hp Water Outflow - Small.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 24
Yep, sure is.
a) Beggars cant be choosers when looking for bargains on the 2nd hand outboard market
and
b) Ran both Long & Short shaft 15hp outboards on this hull previously, for negligible difference. Short shaft actually got some prop slip / ventilation when just below transition to planing speed, (i.e. at max stern down trim). S/Shaft was about 1knt better at top end, which isn't important to me.

Back