Logo

25hp 3cylinder quitting

Ronniewhite

Regular Contributor
I have a 2000 25hp 3cylinder Johnson long shaft. I fish once or twice a week, trolling. A couple months ago I ran the fuel out of the carbs because I thought it was going to be sitting for a month but that never happened. Every since every once in a while it just quits when trolling. Probably 6 to 8 times in 3hrs. This motor has never quit on me once . But now it does after running the fuel out of the carbs that time. Everything else running wise is still great.

I'm assuming it's a two-stroke carbureted engine given its age. I would try a good dose of your favorite fuel treatment like seafoam. I wouldn’t run the carbs dry during this process, it can take days or weeks to fully take affect. Also try using mid grade fuel without corn juice, if you aren’t already.

I'm assuming it's a two-stroke carbureted engine given its age. I would try a good dose of your favorite fuel treatment like seafoam. I wouldn’t run the carbs dry during this process, it can take days or weeks to fully take affect. Also try using mid grade fuel without corn juice, if you aren’t already.
It gets fresh gas every week regular. I add seafoam to every tank. Not alot a bottle lasts about 4 tanks.

One more thing...have you checked the compression since this issue arose? How many total hours do you estimate you have on the engine?

I'm leaning towards this issue not being related to running the fuel out. I personally avoid ethanol laced fuel at all costs in the marine environment. I'm thinking in your case it's something electrical or possibly uneven or low compression. In very general terms, it’s my understanding that two stroke motors have a lifespan of about 1000hrs run time. I think it’s worth looking at the compression…

I'm leaning towards this issue not being related to running the fuel out. I personally avoid ethanol laced fuel at all costs in the marine environment. I'm thinking in your case it's something electrical or possibly uneven or low compression. In very general terms, it’s my understanding that two stroke motors have a lifespan of about 1000hrs run time. I think it’s worth looking at the compression…
As of 2021 all fuel in Canada has ethanol in it.

As of 2021 all fuel in Canada has ethanol in it.
It appears you are right according to google, except the article I was reading said ethanol was made mandatory starting in 2022...I stand corrected. Two stalls in 3 hours is very tolerable. Hope it continues to improve.

Back