Logo

25hp 2 stroke tiller with Manual Tilt ( Shallow Water Drive )

Beastman

I have a 2002 25 EL Serial # OT450501 which has been bacically trouble free except that I'm not able to tilt the motor up in any way I have tried. Having read all kinds of solutions all over the net to fix my problem non of them seem to be right. I can offer a few things which might help identify the problem and parts if any to buy.

The "Tilt Lock" which swings out and supports the motor when Tilted Up feels "loose" moving it side to side.

The Motor has only been used 6 times or less in 2016 and the "Tilt Lock" or other part may be seized for lack of being used and lubricant. I remember having this issue the last time it was out, but after a while it was OK.
I live in FL and the salty air will rust tools in a month or so without some WD40.

Thank You,
Darin Scott

Usually have to be in forward to tilt up and most of the tilt assembly is plastic.. The main reason it doesn't work is people change the water pump and don't put the washer on the shift rod. The shallow water drive set-up is mostly plastic so freeing it up should be easy enough. When that works you can use it as a manual release. There is a lot of play in the tilt lock pretty normal. The manual tilt is controlled by the shift rod it locks the motor down in neutral and reverse and forward should release it.

I wanted to say thank you for the excellent information. After over greasing the Manual Tilt it is now starting to work as it should. I'll replace the old grease with new grease on the tiller handel as well as anything under the cowl.

I'm stripping then semi-restoring an 02' HB Whipray 16 with 02' Mercury 40 HP 4 stroke EFI Outboard which has a total of 70hrs total.

Back