Logo

255A Raw water pump

tcmers

"I've got a 1977 AQ255A wi

"I've got a 1977 AQ255A with 280 outdrive. My impeller disinigrated. I've cleaned out pieces from the engine (what a pain), replaced the heads (cracked) and replaced the impeller. It worked fine for a while, then failed again. The impellor looks fine, but won't pump at all. I'm wondering if I got the wrong impeller. Couldn't find any identification on the pump, so I ordered by measurement. The shaft size seemed right, and the impeller was a tight fit. Can anyone tell me which part number I should be using? Here's a drawing of the pump. I can take actual pics if needed.

114964.jpg
"

"You may be better off trying

"You may be better off trying to see if a crank mount pump will work for you better than that belt driven pump. I don't think there would be a problem making it work. This pump mounts on top of the pulleys on the crankshaft with 3 allen head 3/8 fine bolts. You just need to reroute your water intake hose or change it out completely. Then route the water out to the intake fitting on the engine. Many years ago I always had problems with these pumps. Impellers, keeping the belt tight and so on. Also needed is the stayarm or bracket to anchor the pump. I recently sold one to a customer that changed his Sherwood pump out to this system and he is very happy."

"Sounds like that may be a goo

"Sounds like that may be a good solution. Can you give me any info on which pump I would need, and where I can get one? Thanks!"

"I bought a Johnson crank moun

"I bought a Johnson crank mount pump & bracket. Looks pretty simple to install, but there are no instructions. Doeas anyone have a picture of one mounted? I'd like to see how & where the bracket attaches to the engine. Thanks!"

"There are several different b

"There are several different brackets made by different people, most mount to the block on two verticle holes that I believe are 3/8 thread about 2 inches apart. It makes no diff which side the bracket goes to but I'm sure the OEM V/P one went to the port side with the stay bracket under the pump. I just made a bracket last week that I went to the starboard side because of clearance problems. Just make sure you get you in and out on the right port on the pump."

Back