Logo

25 hp no spark

surfit

"I have a 25hp electric igniti

"I have a 25hp electric ignition motor that suddenly quit running. I am not getting spark in either cilynder. I don't have much experience trouble shooting electrical problems and I am at witts end, I am steering towards the ignition box probably because I don't know how to check it, I don't think both coils would go at once and there are no points or condencer's any ideas would be apreciated,
Thanks,
Jeff."

We need a model number or at l

We need a model number or at least year it was made so we can see which engine we are dealing with.

The model number is E25RCIM I

The model number is E25RCIM I don't know what year. I hope this helps. It is a 25 hp two cilynder two stroke. You have to pre-mix the oil and gas. It has an electric starter and a pull start. I have attached a photo.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
14201.jpg
Engine"">
14202.jpg
engine

"I am a bit of an amatuer myse

"I am a bit of an amatuer myself, but I had spark issues on my johnson 70hp, I had to replace the power pack, problem solved! Good luck"

"It could be the powerpack, co

"It could be the powerpack, coil/s, pick-up under the flywheel, bad stop switch, or a shorted wire to the powerpack. Best thing to do is get the factory manual and go through their series of diagnostic tests. OMC gives you step by step instruction on how to trouble-shoot the ignition system. Short of that, an experienced marine mechanic is the way to go. I'm guessing that your engine is an 80's model. I would bet that there is little change in that motor over the years."

"Jeff
This is a follow up to

"Jeff
This is a follow up to 1st post,it appears that the engine is a 81 but does not indicate electric start.
Roy"

"Jeffery.... The ignition syst

"Jeffery.... The ignition system is referred to as Solid State Ignition (no points). The term of Electric Ignition is usually construed as pertaining to an electric start engine.

OMC's code is the word INTRODUCES whereas each letter represents a number.... I=1, N=2, T=3, etc. In your case, the "CI" within the model number indicates "81" (1981).

A failure such as you describe is usually due to a failed powerpack or a shorting kill switch/button. To test the kill switch/button, remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack rubber plug connector. If you still have no spark, the powerpack is most likely the problem.

The powerpack is part #582452. I have a couple new ones left in stock which I would discount if you're interested."

"1995 175 HP Evinrude Hard to

"1995 175 HP Evinrude Hard to start or no start when cold. Verified no spark on at least 2 cylinders (maybe all) before it started working.
Primer seems to work ok when starting but seems to flood easily. After starting, when engine warm, starts easily rest of day. Powerpack? Are they too pricy to try on guess? Thanks lots. Gary"

"Gary,
My problem was the pow

"Gary,
My problem was the power pak it cost $60.00 I thought it would be alot more than that.
Jeff."

Back