Logo

25 hp 1986 upper crankshaft bearing and oil seal

Shile

I have Mercury 25hp 1986.
For last 10-20 hours I can "hear" upper cranksaft bearing...
Can I repair it "on situ"..while still on boat? Quick fix for next 10-20hours...
My plan is to remove oil seal, fill bearing with grease, and return oil seal and flywheel.
How to remove oil seal? Do I have to lose 2 part of cylinder block or there is a way to pull it out?
I just want to temporarly quickfix it for next 10-20 hours....then boat goes out from the water.

TNX

Last edited:
For a super quick "band aid" fix you can do it "in place".

Remove the flywheel. That will allow you to get to the seal.

I pick them out with a seal puller but you can get it out with a screw driver/awl - it kinda looks like a bottle cap with hole in the center - they wear out "often".

(sorry, should have added - I think it is next to impossible to save the existing seal - no way of getting it out without destroying it - so if you can't get another, I would leave things alone and cross my fingers - I can't see you removing the seal in serviceable condition and I have pulled a lot of them - but maybe there is a trick I'm not aware of - seal is 12 bucks and just about every Merc dealer will have on in stock - it's a part that wears out regularly so they generally have stock)

Pick out the seal - pack the snot out of the bearing with any high speed grease (I use wheel bearing grease) - Merc specs 2-4-C with Teflon, but if it's really the bearing and not just the seal you will need to get back at it shortly.

Replace the seal - I seat them back in with a mallet and a socket (that is small enough to "just" fit in the race so that it catches the outside edge of the seal - the seal itself has very little metal in it - a spring bound in rubber surrounds the hole and the rubber is (fixed) to the metal outer edge) - tap it back in until it's fully seated - replace the flywheel and off you go.

Should last out the (trip/outing) - have done this repair myself in a remote location, but that was just a "blown seal" and not a bad bearing.

Last edited:
Back