Logo

25 horse johnson hard to start

J

JD

" I have a 1970, 25 horse John

" I have a 1970, 25 horse Johnson. I have to pull the rope about 10 to 15 times before it will srart up. After it starts the first time, it will start with a couple of pulls the rest of the day. I need ideas on how to start with fewer pulls the first time. "

"JD.... If you have compressio

"JD.... If you have compression and spark (which it sounds that you do), and I'm assuming that you're pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard before you attempt to atart the engine, you're problem points to a fouled or misadjusted carburetor, or the choke is not operating properly.

If the choke is closing properly when you attempt to start the engine, I'd suggest that you remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor. The proper method to adjust the carb follows:

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe
"

Back