Logo

25 h.p. honda stalls in gear

poetprince1

I have a 25h.p. Honda outboard that runs fine in the yard with the muffs on...When we put it in the water after about an hour it started to stall every time you put it in gear (forward) it would ocassionally stay running in reverse (would not stall)when we got it home it ran fine in gear with the muffs on again.Any suggestions.Thanks

Runs ok for an hour? Will stay running in reverse? Hmmmmmmm.

Have you checked your gear lube?

How is your oil and level?

Normally, if something like this happens, it happens as soon as you put it into gear and it generally turns out to be dirty carburetors.

Drain your carburetors into a clear jar and see what the fuel looks like....any water?

You need to narrow the issue down to fuel, spark, or compression.

Is it possible that you are loosing one cylinder once it really gets warm?

Is it possible that your fuel system breather in not working correctly? Loosen or remove fuel cap.

Is it possible that the fuel connections are leaky and you are sucking air? Squeeze fuel bulb to see if they helps.

Try pulling the manual choke open a little and see if it picks up.

Also, remove the hood and see if it helps....could be exhaust leak.

How new are your spark plugs? Are they NGK DR7EA? If Denso's, change them out.

I know....lots of questions.....no magic answer. You just have to do some detective work and eliminate some of the possible problems.

Mike

I would look at everything that Mike suggests for sure but I had a thought or two about this one as well.

I could be way off...frequently am....but THIS sounds like water in the fuel to me. Here's why:

Runs ok in reverse....runs ok in the driveway......that sort of says SLOSH to me. Meaning that as the angle of the fuel tank changes and the fuel sloshes around, what the pickup tube in the tank is exposed to changes a bit. If there is water at the bottom of the fuel, and it wouldn't take much, then it could INTERMITTENTLY get picked up and delivered to the carbs as the boat changed positions or direction.

I suppose you could have some sort of weird electrical connector problem too. As the angle or thrust of the outboard changes the connection is affected. But I would check for water first.

Good luck

Back