Logo

24 v trolling motor

NEVADA GAMABLER

bought used boat with a 24 volt motor guide trolling motor--the system has two batteries with one positive lead and one negative going to the trolling motor. The other two posts one positive and one negative had a jumper cord hooking them together .My questions is can I use a 12 volt trickle cell charger hooked to the positive /negative post of one battery to charge both without burning something.

No you cannot you either need to buy a 24 volt charger or disconnect the batteries from each other and charge with a 12 volt charger.

Disconnect the jumper cable between the two batteries and then charge each individually. Once both are fully charged measure the voltage for each and let sit overnight 12-24hrs then check for any voltage drop. If either battery loses power you should replace both of them as a set.

I guess I'm a little dense, but I don't quite understand your description of how the batteries are connected. If I read it right, you are running on 12V, not 24V. Two batteries in series give you 24V. Two batteries in parallel give 12V but double the capacity.

Nevertheless, either way, you must charge them individually if you have a 12V charger.

that is correct --- I -got a manual but do not say what i need--I was hoping I could leave the boat on the lake where there is no power to charge the trolling batteries----can the main boat battery be hooked up to the trolling batteries for charging as is w/o changing the troll motor wiring

NO the motor charges at 12 volts you run the risk of damaging the main engine electrical. Depending on what you have a 24 volt charger will be cheap in comparison to the engine damage that could be caused.

Back