Logo

23L omc dies at 4000 RPM

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
"Newest problem on boat that h

"Newest problem on boat that has been fine until this year. Boat worked great sat and half of sunday then all of a sudden it would die at 4000 RPMS, and I had trouble starting it back up, did this several times.
Acted like a fuel restriction problem, took out and cleaned in line fuel filter, wasnt dirty to the eye.
Old gas was in boat but have added 20 gal of new gas last two days.
have not changed fuel gas seperator in a while
plugs look decent, #1 qas a little black, but dry
I think my altenator is out (if I turn perko switch to off motor dies, is it supposed to die.
I thought motor would run off of altenator.
If ALT is dead could this be my problem, bat is to low to supply enough voltage at higher RPMS?
Also, I have put 3 solenoids on this thing, starter keeps staying engaged (new starter also)
I can wack the solonied and it will start working.

ANY suggestions?

On a positive note< the used 2.3 outdrive is working like a charm, adjusted shift cable and it shifts like butter(without the ESA working!)
Thanks
Kev"

"Kevin, You might try attachi

"Kevin, You might try attaching a fuel pressure guage. Watch the pressure as you are getting up towards 4000 rpms. Fuel pump could be flaking out???????"

what are you volts on the volt

what are you volts on the volt gauge reading needs to be some where past 12 to be getting a chare more like 14 or so ... also yea thing cant really run without a good battery try replacing the battery if its a few years old

A quick test to see if it'

A quick test to see if it's electrical (alt or battery) would be to take it out and run it up near the 4000 and then use your power tilt/trim. If you've got a low voltage problem this will surface even quicker when you use something that draws a lot of current like the power trim motor.

If you suspect the alt or the battery then you should take them both in for a bench test to be sure. Take the alt into an auto electric shop and the battery can go to any battery place to give it a load test.

"I want to say thanks to All o

"I want to say thanks to All of the people that helped me out, Bob, Hystat, Bondo and several others. Some that had the sasme problem that I had, or close anyway, I read your problems and souutions from the experts here and I finaly got my boat running great!

Several problems with 2.3 L
1- outdrive bad, replaced with 3.0, found out that the gearing was wrong would only do 10mph, replaced with 2.3 outdrive

2) starter staying engaged

3) motor dies at 4000 RP)M

replaced, solonoid, starter, coil, points, condenser,plugs. plug wires, battery, anti siphon valve, drained gas tank, cleaned all battery, starter, solonid connections.

Probably didnt need to replace all of that but I did and last weekend at lake boat ran great
38 mph by myself @ 5200 RPM with a 15p prop, 34MPH with three adults and one child in boat.
Pulled 190pound solom skier, pulled two tubes at same time at 25 -28 with two adult men on with lots af turns and figure 8t's (lot of drag on boat)
Had a blast all weekend! thanks 17 1/2ft sunbird

Kev"

"also replaced water/fuel sepe

"also replaced water/fuel seperator, cleaned screen at bottom of tank, replaced fuel filter inside of carb, sprayed half can of B12 chem tool in carb, added can of liquid chem tool in gas tank (new gas)"

"That's great Kevin, I don

"That's great Kevin, I don't think you really replaced anything that you wouldn't normally do at some time or another with regular maintenance and now you can do what the boat was meant for...go out and have some fun!"

Back