Logo

225 not charging

wchetwode

My 225 is charging when I run it on the muffs it says 14.5v's. As soon as I put the boat in the water and start the motor the battery light comes on and the buzzer goes. My Garmin plotter registers 12'vs then starts dropping. Is it the alternator do you think?

Clean your battery terminals and cable ends. Make sure that the cables are on tight (with a wrench tight).

Make sure that your alternator belt in tight. It should be almost banjo tight. About 110 - 132 lbft using a belt tension gauge.

You could have blown your 150 amp fuse (tipically done if you connect the battery backwards...even for a second). Although, this should normally cause an alarm all the time. There is a spare fuse in the fuse holder cover.

Make sure your battery has at least 800 cca.

Have your battery load checked.

If could be as simple as that.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I tried that. We have now taken the alternator off and it has had some water in it and it is unrepairable. The cost of a new Honda one is £1000. Questions I have been offered a car one new for £160 are they interchangeable? Or are the mounting points different as I don't want to spend £1000!!!

Sorry about the alternator. I do not know if the automotive is the same. Generally, the marine alternators limit any potental spark.

I doubt that it is the same based on its part number.

Maybe you can find a used one off of a blown motor on the internet.

Mike

I'm speculating here, but if the casing on the old alternator is still good, I would suspect that a good auto electrocal repair shop could work the guts of a new auto alternator into that casing. It's probably worth a try.

Bought one from local car alternator shop £165 and it fits. The connector on the front is in a slightly different place. Seems to work as did 80 miles yesterday no problem.

Back