Logo

225 Johnson VRO first time starting

Blue Remora

Attachments

• PC070044.jpg
    PC070044.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 492
Looks to be an 87 / 88 model.------------Do a compression test.-----------Then check and see if it has spark on all 6 that will jump a gap of 7/16" with a snap that you can hear.----------------Check oil in lower unit as well.-----------------After you start it on fuel mixed at 50:1 and hear it run, only then look at spending modey on it !-----------Some times there is a reason why these things sit for years.-----------Salt water used ?? That may mean some things will not come apart.

It was saltwater used. under the hood it looks pretty clean and the fly wheel turns by hand so it's not seized at all but the wires are soft and some are corroded and easily will come apart. I'm assuming you are talking about mixing the oil and gas if the VRO isn't connected? The VRO is still connected though. Ideally we want to get the engine started and hopefully burn what fuel is in the tank which is also very old.

I have a dumb question; how do you do a compression test? The boat is at a place where mechanics are near by but what special equipment is needed?

Just a simple compression test.Nothing really special needed.-----------------------Say the VRO is hooked up but it is not working , you might damage the motor.-------------So if you mix gas and oil at 50 : 1 you are assured of lubrication. If you mark the VRO tank and see that the oil is going down then you know it is working to some degree. This would mean extra smoke but you will not damage the motor.---------------Salt water motors may not come apart easily for maintenance so be careful and check this thing out before spending your money.

Compression test is #1, its done with a compression gauge which measures the compression in PSI. Its desired to have even compression between all cylinders.

I would also recommend starting the motor with an external 6-gallon tank. That gas in your tank is probably bad and you wont want to run that through your motor. You will need to probably pump the tank out. Starbright sells a tank cleaning solution that I heard works very well or you can get it professionally cleaned. First spray some WD-40 or fogging oil in each cylinder. This will help lubricate during start up since the motor has been sitting.

You will want to pull the plug wires from each cylinder and remove 1 spark plug at a time for the compression test. Screw the compression gauge into the spark plug hole and crank the motor for a few seconds and record your readings.* Post readings for all cylinders!!!

That's good you can hand turn the crank.....very promising.

Does the motor have a fuel/water separator installed?

If the compression checks out.* Clean the plugs at first in order to start it but you will want to buy new plugs.* Start and run the motor with fresh ethanol free gas, let it run on the hose for a few to see how it runs.* Check compression again...record results.

If everything checks out, then its time for some true motor maintenance:*

1) Rebuild Carbs (very important)
2) Change Thermostats
3) New Water Pump
4) Remove Prop and inspect Prop seal/clean prop shaft and re-grease prop shaft.
6) Change gear oil
7) new spark plugs

You will also want to check if the overheat horn works...you may need a mechanic for that. Some of the stuff above you may be best to have a skilled mechanic do a once over for you before investing any real $$.

You may also want to disable the VRO and go with a 50:1 mix.* Go to the Evinrude dealer and pick up some XD-50 oil. (only stuff I use)

If the compression looks good and it runs...a little TLC and a paint job and with proper maintenance you'll have a motor for years to come.

Goodluck!!!

Post compression readings

Wow, thanks guys for the advice! that's good stuff. i got some good news today and found out that all the old gas has been removed. Someone came by who cleans fuel sucked it out and took it with him. We will use an external tank anyway with 50:1 mix. Now we need to inspect the fuel tank and clean that as well but it's a 120 gallon metal tank so, that's for another day I guess. Right now we really want to get this engine fired up. I'll be printing out all these threads so, i'll have them with me this weekend working on it. Thanks again!!

That is a big fuel tank. Good to hear the gas is out. You will also want to install a fuel/water separator (if one isn't already there). If it has one, you will want to get a new filter.

Also, some people have had good results with soaking each cylinder with penetrating oil and leaving it sit for 2-3 days.

If you don't disable the VRO before initial starting than still mark to oil reservoir to see if the oil level goes down. This will show if its actually working or not. Afterward, its still a good idea to disable the VRO for good and mix gas 50:1

You may need to clean some of the electrical contacts and make sure your battery is good and charged.

Check wiring for rot.

Let us know how it goes.

When a motor sits unused for any length of time, you can also expect some of the carb feed hoses to leak at their fittings, as they tend to dry out. I would prime the carbs, let it sit for a while, and then check later for leaks. Many times those issues "cure themselves." Of course, you never want to run the engine with any type of fuel leak or accumulation! That is called "the big bang theory."

Back