Logo

225 HP V6 Two-stroke: Primer floods engine

peak@yamaha

I have a Yamaha 225 HP 2-stroke V6 outboard engine from 1990-1993.
The automatic primer sometimes engages even when the motor is warm and thus flooding it to a stop.
Could it be that the solenoids get power even when they should not? Or is it something with the primer itself?
primer.jpg

Regards
Peter

If you squeeze the primer ball does it get hard or can you keep squeezing fuel through it? If you can keep squeezing fuel through it, you have a bad fuel pump and it will flood the engine and cause it to stall.

Chris,

Thanks for the hint. It seems like I can keep squeezing but 95% of a season the motor runs fine. No start problems.
I have actually connected two light bulbs, one to each solenoid for the primer and when the motor floods next time I will have a look at the bulbs. If anyone is lit then I know it's the thermo sensor that gives a false signal. If none of the bulbs are lit then the problem lies within the primer.

Again, thanks

Regards
Peter

Chris, after replacing fuel lines and primer ball along with the fuel filter there's no leakage. The primer ball tells the system is full. However, it seems like the fuel pumps are faulty but not saturating the engine according to your suggestion but instead not giving it enough fuel. Pumping the primer ball will make it run again. I have ordered new membrans to the two fuel pumps. Hopefully a replacement of those will sort this problem out. Regards Peter

Back