Logo

20hp mercury outboard kicks out of gear

mikesflyin

Hi Everyone!

New here. I got a boat and an 20hp mercury outboard motor lend to use for the summer. I trailored it in yesterday and took one 20min. testdrive. Everything went very well. Then today I get in and want to go and as soon as I want to go a little faster she revs up and kicks out of gear. Sounds serious to me. Any sugestions please ? Thank you very much!

If it really revs up because it kicked out of gear and not revs up because the prop hub is slipping you have a linkage problem, or possibly worn clutch dog in the oil filled lower unit gearbox. I assume your 20 is tiller operated. If remote controlled just adjust the linkage from the remote cables. I don't know the linkage setup on a 20 hp tiller engine.

If it really revs up because it kicked out of gear and not revs up because the prop hub is slipping you have a linkage problem, or possibly worn clutch dog in the oil filled lower unit gearbox. I assume your 20 is tiller operated. If remote controlled just adjust the linkage from the remote cables. I don't know the linkage setup on a 20 hp tiller engine.

Thank you. It is not remote controlled. How do I know which of the two please?

Thank you. It is not remote controlled. How do I know which of the two please?

Thanks Jeff!

How do I fix that please?

QUOTE=fastjeff;716266]It's not "kicking out of gear"; the prop hub is slipping, that's all.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

To determine if the prop is the problem you are interested in the inner piece of metal that touches the prop shaft (brass usually) as the prop slides into position VS the outer piece of metal (aluminum usually) remaining in contact with each other and not the shaft spinning and the outer not 1:1 following.

To test, take the prop off and mark a line from the brass to the alum outer shell....on the rear works bast. Magic marker or take a knife tip and scratch a line. Take the boat out and run it. Remove the prop and look at your line. If it is no longer a straight line time for a new hub if replaceable, or if pressed in rubber, a new prop. Iboats sells props and replaceable hubs at a good price.

Back