Logo

20hp Johnson throttle control

skipper47

Contributing Member
Hi Guys,

I have a 1973 20hp Johnson and I haven't used it for about 6 years, and as far as I can remember
the throttle control makings were accurate ie stop, slow, shift, start and fast.
I have put new oil in the gear box cleaned the plugs and new fuel, after some pulls it fired up great and
ran OK with a good tell tale flow.
The problem, it starts with control between shift and start but is running at full throttle just after the start
marking. The control will not turn to Fast, I have had the rod between control handle and the angled dogs
wheels out and replaced, what have I done wrong?

Hi Guys,

I have a 1973 20hp Johnson and I haven't used it for about 6 years, and as far as I can remember
the throttle control makings were accurate ie stop, slow, shift, start and fast.
I have put new oil in the gear box cleaned the plugs and new fuel, after some pulls it fired up great and
ran OK with a good tell tale flow.
The problem, it starts with control between shift and start but is running at full throttle just after the start
marking. The control will not turn to Fast, I have had the rod between control handle and the angled dogs
wheels out and replaced, what have I done wrong?

Refitted it incorrectly ?

The cast ball gears-----it's obvious how they match up.

The bevel gears----keep in mind that the first gear tooth meshes with the first mating gear groove. Do that and everything will work out.

I have mated them correctly, if the first gear/mating groove is the larger spaced part of the bevel gears.
I have another 20hp Johnson that I use for spares, looking at that bevel gear set up the larger space on
the gears is directly facing 180 degrees, the one on the going motor that spaced gear is at about 145 degrees,
would that make a difference?

Back