Logo

2021 Vmax 115 gear case oil confusion.

Nucad

Regular Contributor
I bought a new boat this year and am enjoying it's performance. It Is a Stanley welded aluminum boat (Mink is the model) with a Vmax 115. My dealer said that I should get the oil changed (Including the gear case) at 20 hours and then do it every 100 after that. They also said that Yamaha was picky about what Lubricants were used if ever there was any warranty claims. My local service provider wanted to use their generic oil and filter, but were Ok with me supplying Yamaha products. I got a call from them that the gear case oil I bought was not the same as what came out. I purchased the wrong Yamaha product and one meant for their V-6 and V-8 motors. It was marked HD and was Amber in color vs the Blue/ Green that came out. SO I went to another Yamaha marine dealer and they sold me a bottle of regular Yamaha gear case oil. The bottle said suitable for most Yamaha Outboards. It too was Amber. Does Yamaha make a Green/Blue gear case oil? I ended up using this oil figuring it meets the spec....but was wondering if it is the best Yamaha product for my application? This was the most expensive oil change I have ever had on a vehicle by a factor of 4, and I have used Synthetic changed at the dealer on my cars for the last 20 years. What does your dealer charge for an oil change on your Yamaha 4 stroke outboard?
I'll be doing it myself from this day forward. Is there a brand of topside oil extractor that works well? Tia.

Last edited:
Yes, more than one was confused. I guess I should have read the manual myself .Since both of those are Amber, I guess the Blue/Green stuff that came out and looked like Merc gear oil was break in oil? Thanks.

Back