Logo

2019 mercury 3.5hp 4stroke leaking gas

Alex801

It was serviced last year and not used since.
today put it in a tub of water and it started 2nd pull yayyyy
nope
ran it for ten minutes then hit the kill switch and attempted to restart. It started. But whenever I’d try to apply gas it would cut out.
then I noticed gas pissing out the two tubes under the engine.
took the cover off engine and it’s coming out of the front of carb too.
thanks for any replies

Wise to clean all fuel areas as well. Maybe some crud or deposits are upstream of carb.....just did one of these last year.
Always wondered what people mean when they say, "serviced"? Probably not the same as what I myself consider......perhaps the reason I have never been able to work for anyone except myself.......now I can't get "fired'.

Last edited:
Wise to clean all fuel areas as well. Maybe some crud or deposits are upstream of carb.....just did one of these last year.
Always wondered what people mean when they say, "serviced"? Probably not the same as what I myself consider......perhaps the reason I have never been able to work for anyone except myself.......now I can't get "fired'.

good point!
I don’t no what will of been included in the service he had done. If the float were to be stuck right up or down and the fuel cut off in open position would fuel run out of them overflow pipes without the engine running? When I checked fuel when switched off and seen it were empty and topped up it was free flowing out them tubes. Iv watched a walkthrough at stripping it all down now and feel confident I’m capable

I’ve had the same issue. Taken the carb apart 10 times. Kept finding what appeared to be hard, dark brown crystals in it. Found some junk like it in the tank as well. Drained and rinsed the tank. Carb is clean. Same issue. Fuel leaking out the tube, idles high and floods out and does in idle. I’m certain there’s more junk in the system somewhere.

Maybe damage to needle at float. Replaced? Is the float in good condition? Not rubbing on anything? Fuel pump clean? Was there any debris in the tank when you first rinsed it. Debris can collect in lines and squeeze bulb too. When you dismantled carb each time, had any debris returned? Shouldn't get past the fuel screen

Maybe damage to needle at float. Replaced? Is the float in good condition? Not rubbing on anything? Fuel pump clean? Was there any debris in the tank when you first rinsed it. Debris can collect in lines and squeeze bulb too. When you dismantled carb each time, had any debris returned? Shouldn't get past the fuel screen
Needle looks near perfect. The float looks to be in good order. I have not taken the fuel pump apart yet to examine that. Perhaps that is today's mission. There was debris in the tank. And by debris, I mean old gas that had condensed into solids. When I take the carb apart each time, there is often small, granular pieces (almost like fine sand granulars) in the carb pan. Found some slime in around the main nozzle bore. Cleaned it all out and reassembled. New gas after the tank was cleaned, and same issue (it starts, runs, gas pisses out the overflow hose. Wont idle at a normal idle RPM, wants to rev as fuel gets dumped into the carb. I believe there may have been a substantial amount of that debris that made it into the upstream side of the fuel supply lines. Probably need to flush the entire fuel system somehow. Thing is, this motor maybe had 5 hours on it when it was given to me. The old fuel just turned solid. I didn't think to clean the tank for a motor that new. I just find it so strange that the float and needle now appear very clean and functioning, yet there's too much fuel being dumped into the carb somehow. What am I missing?

Back