Logo

2019 20hp short shaft

docjones

Installed my new outboard on the boat on Sunday and was going to run it in a water tank but after about 45 seconds it still wasn't pissing. I know for a fact that the water pickup was totally under water. My question is, how long should it take for water to get thur the motor and start pissing? My last two motors it was almost right away. I know it works (the pissing part) because afterwards I connected the water hose to it and it was pissing before I had a chance to start it. If I disconnect the hose it won't piss. The water in the tank is over the cavitation plate. Any ideas?

The hose has water pressure and assists with the pissing, but the tank needs the strength of the impeller to pump the water. You may need to replace the impeller.

If you have a compressor. Apply a shot of air through the tell tale while it's running. If you see bubbles come up. The water passages are open. If it still doesn't pump water. The lower unit should come off for inspection. Warranty should cover that.
If your running it on a hose.you should see the water being sucked up as soon as it starts.

Thanks to both of you. Just to clarafy this is a brand new motor. The first time it ran was when I started it on Sunday. I will try that shot of air thur the tell tale and watch for bubbles. My next question is, is it alright to run the motor as long as water is coming out of the tell tale?

Yes that is what I meant. But just to be clear if water is flowing out of the tell tale then the entire system/motor is being cooled as it should. Thanks again.

Back