Logo

2017 Mercury 4 stroke 40hp vst fuel pump not working

d.baker

Hello all... I'm new to the site...

I have the 40th anniversary Bass Tracker. I'm the original owner. The engine has 23.9 hours. The engine stalled and I had a long audible alarm the last time out. Engine turns over but will not run. I can't feel the electric fuel pump inside the vst running with the key on. Fuse checked out and is good. Returned to dealer and their diagnostic report showed a bad vst.... which is no longer under warranty and well over $1100.00 plus labor for them to install. I chose to bring the boat back home and do a little investigating on my own.... the vst has a two wire plug going into it... I verified that I have power going to the vst, I removed the fuel pump from the vst and it is clean with no debris restricting the impeller, I bench tested the pump with jumper wires to a battery and it runs like new, I reinstalled it on the engine and it doesn't run, I still have the long audible alarm with the key in the on position.... How could it run on the bench but not on the engine?.... I have 12v at the plug going into the vst on one of the wires but I do not have continuity between the other wire and a ground source. Contacted Mercury for a pinout diagram for the computer bulkhead and found that the "ground" wire for the pump returns directly to the computer on the engine... I tested the "ground" wire for continuity from the bulkhead pin to the plug that goes into the vst... the wire is good... possibly a bad computer was my thought... I replaced the computer and still have the same issue.... I ordered a new vst fuel pump but haven't installed it yet.... I tested continuity between the terminals on both the old and the new fuel pumps... the old pump reads 9 ohms of resistance and the new pump reads 3 ohms of resistance.... Could this difference in resistance be causing the pump not to run on the engine although it runs just fine when I hook it straight to a battery?

I'm scratching my head with this one... Anyone else ran into this before?

Thanks in advance to all

The pump has 12V on it at all time when key is on...the ground is supplied thru ECM and it varies the ground resistance to control fuel pressure

Back