Logo

2015 BFP60A

Rich235

Just bought a 2015 boat with a Honda BFP60A outboard. Oil is very clean and it runs well but having no history on past maintenance I'm thinking of replacing a few things like impeller, fuel filters, plugs etc. Any ideas on what else? Thanks.

Well, draining and refilling the gearcase is always a good idea. Also, keep in mind that there are a few protective zincs that you should make yourself aware of and check for deterioration at some point. See item 6 in the link below.

And item 1 in the link below

There may be others I'm unaware of. I don't know this outboard but there are also the external ones on the gearcase. Items 10

My experience is that it's always wise to replace the fasteners that secure the zincs because they tend to sieze at some point if not replaced.

Hope you enjoy your new outboard!

I would suggest you purchase a genuine Honda service manual for your engine if you plan on doing your own maintenance. A new impeller at the bare minimum, consider replacing the entire water pump instead of just the impeller. With a new water pump assembly you’ll have piece of mind knowing that it’s brand new. If the old water pump is still good then you’ll have a some spare parts should you need them. Keep in mind that Honda is suffering with supply chain issues(like everyone else) on common maintenance parts so some planning for replacement parts might might be necessary. Check the timing belt for wear.

Completely agree with William01 suggestions. The shop manual is such a good "tool" and replacing the ENTIRE pump is well worth the money to ensure complete cooling efficiency. If you only replace the impeller, you need to look at the old pump housing and wiper cup VERY carefully. ANY slop in the cup to housing fit is unacceptable and be aware that even if the cup looks brand new, your new impeller will suffer some wear seating in to the old cup.

One other thing I suggest is that you don't neglect to smear a thin coat of dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots. It seales out moisture and makes taking them of and putting them back easier too.

Official shop manual available here:

Good luck.

Just bought a 2015 boat with a Honda BFP60A outboard. Oil is very clean and it runs well but having no history on past maintenance I'm thinking of replacing a few things like impeller, fuel filters, plugs etc. Any ideas on what else? Thanks.
Pull the prop to allow you to inspect for fishing line wound around the prop shaft (trying to take out that seal), and grease the splines on the shaft.

I would suggest you purchase a genuine Honda service manual for your engine if you plan on doing your own maintenance. A new impeller at the bare minimum, consider replacing the entire water pump instead of just the impeller. With a new water pump assembly you’ll have piece of mind knowing that it’s brand new. If the old water pump is still good then you’ll have a some spare parts should you need them. Keep in mind that Honda is suffering with supply chain issues(like everyone else) on common maintenance parts so some planning for replacement parts might might be necessary. Check the timing belt for wear.
Yes, was looking at that, I see the paper manual is 95 dollars on the Honda website. I had the manual on CD for my past boat's Yamaha, definitely worth buying the manual. Do you have any suggestions on where to but parts? I suppose the Honda site where they have the manual is good? We are like minded, I would like to replace the assembly with cup and impeller etc. I really do appreciate your advice, thanks! I have a new prop already but want to do a few other items when I change that out.

Thank you to all of you guys who helped me out here, just ordered the manual and on my way to getting this outboard up to speed. Thanks for all the great advice!

Yes, was looking at that, I see the paper manual is 95 dollars on the Honda website. I had the manual on CD for my past boat's Yamaha, definitely worth buying the manual. Do you have any suggestions on where to but parts? I suppose the Honda site where they have the manual is good? We are like minded, I would like to replace the assembly with cup and impeller etc. I really do appreciate your advice, thanks! I have a new prop already but want to do a few other items when I change that out.
A LOT of us use boats.net - with good reason.

If you live in Canada or possibly any other country other than the US by the time you pay taxes, shipping, duty and factor in the exchange rate you’re no farther ahead buying from boats.net. Canadian customs, in my experience will add a 2-3 days delay just clearing customs.

If you live in Canada or possibly any other country other than the US by the time you pay taxes, shipping, duty and factor in the exchange rate you’re no farther ahead buying from boats.net. Canadian customs, in my experience will add a 2-3 days delay just clearing customs.
And your preferred source for parts?

And your preferred source for parts?
Local dealer about 150km away. I get the parts numbers from Honda’s website have them confirm I have the correct numbers. If they don’t have the parts in stock they order them from Vancouver BC. Takes 3-5 days for them to get the parts which is more or less the time it takes Canada Customs to clear the parts.

Local dealer about 150km away. I get the parts numbers from Honda’s website have them confirm I have the correct numbers. If they don’t have the parts in stock they order them from Vancouver BC. Takes 3-5 days for them to get the parts which is more or less the time it takes Canada Customs to clear the parts.
Local? wow that's far in my book. My local is an hour+ drive and said he would have a better inventory this spring. I did see one place up north of me called Hallberg Marine in Minnesota that claims to have all parts all brands. Might try them as well. Much appreciate the advice, thanks!

Beware of dealers who advertise/claim "to have all parts for all brands". What the really mean is that they can GET all parts for all brands. Some will also say it will come from their "other" warehouse. The bottom line in both cases is they actually have very little in stock for immediate shipping. They'll get it for you...... just like you can.

If we don’t support local businesses and all purchased our goods from the internet then these local shops will eventually shut down. I understand that the internet is often cheaper and offers a wider selection. I will pay an extra 10-15% over the internet to shop locally, if the locals price is more than 10-15% of the internet price I’ll approach them and often they will reduce their price. Life in a small town.

If we don’t support local businesses and all purchased our goods from the internet then these local shops will eventually shut down. I understand that the internet is often cheaper and offers a wider selection. I will pay an extra 10-15% over the internet to shop locally, if the locals price is more than 10-15% of the internet price I’ll approach them and often they will reduce their price. Life in a small town.
Agreed. My closest Honda Marine dealer is a drive but will be checking them first when I put my list together. Should get my Service manual soon and can start there. I support my local butchers and farm stands always rather than corporate grocery stores. I no longer buy beef and pork at the grocery store as I'm fortunate to have a local farm that has a retail store. Country living.

Beware of dealers who advertise/claim "to have all parts for all brands". What the really mean is that they can GET all parts for all brands. Some will also say it will come from their "other" warehouse. The bottom line in both cases is they actually have very little in stock for immediate shipping. They'll get it for you...... just like you can.
I haven't called them yet but thanks for the warning, I'll be checking my local sources first anyhow. Thanks again!

My old prop on this motor was 14X9 and very worn and corroded and some small chips around the edges. Motor would run WOT at 5200RPM. I then bought a new Honda prop 13.8X9 and now the WOT is 5900 RPM and pushes the pontoon and additional 3MPH. Was 17MPH now 20MPH at the recommend RPM. A nearby Honda dealer who is an also a record holding racing guy said my motor is a 6000RPM motor, so I feel a bit better now with the new prop. Thanks again for all the input here, very much appreciated.

Back