Logo

2014 Mercury Fourstroke 150 stuttered and dropped rpms

Twin 2014 Mercury Fourstrokes w/ approx 1200 hours. during last two canyon trips the Port engine stuttered on the ride in. Ride out and in was 70 miles each way and ran at around 3800 rpms and 28-30 mph as usual. Engines were pretty much on the entire trip with calm seas. After about 10 or more hours, on each trip the Port engine sputtered and the rpms dropped slightly (didn't die) as if starving for fuel. I immediately dropped the speed to about 25mph and just under 3500 rpm and all was good. Each time I tried to go back to my normal running speed/rpms, it happened again. Turned engines off, tilted them up, back down, turned them on and resumed running. Continued to happen and even happened at higher rpms (4000). When I hit the inlet, I opened it up to 40 mph and 4200 rpms for 5 minutes or so and no issues.

I have read every post about this matter and am curious whether anyone who experienced this issue has for certain found the cause and a way of fixing it. I've read about fuel issues, filters, loose binnacle control adjustment , FSM, o-rings on each side of the fuel pump, spark plugs, neutral position sensors, trim switch, shift linkage, etc but no real long term success stories. FYI- no error codes or defaults. Only issue I had was 4 months ago, a quick fault indicating #2 and #4 Fuel Injector on Port Engine but never associated with a stutter and no error code since that message in June.

Any help is appreciated. Going to the service tech on Monday

Back