Logo

2014 90 4stroke, water in the oil

Ultra54

While installing a water pump rebuild kit I noticed some (uncontaminated) used oil dripping drown from the lower cowl cover after removing the bottom end. I attributed this too previous oil changes where oil spill from the oil filter had gathered over the years. In total it might have been 2 ounces of oil. The pump replacement went pretty smoothly, with some difficulty aligning the shift shaft but nothing too bad.

I bolted it up and put the muffs on, ready to warm the oil prior to a change. Before I started it I checked the dip stick and it looked perfect, clean and full up. I ran it for 10 minutes with no issues. Water flowed out of the tell tale hole fine and it ran good. When I tilted and began unscrewing the drain plug, an ounce of clear water leaked before the bolt was fully removed followed by puking out brown liquid.

In the fall I drained the motor well as I have for the last 6 seasons and stored it in a garage with the motor lowered to vertical, straight up and down.

Is my motor destroyed?

Regards, Jack

I can't say the forum has been much in the way of help but I'll provide an update. I brought the motor to a reputable dealer and after 3 weeks they were not able to determine the cause. The motor was totally stripped and new base and sump gasket installed to no avail.
They called me to ask how far I want to go with this and I made the call to cut my losses. So I have 400 lb chunk of plastic and aluminum in my garage.

There was sand collected in a few areas but the coolant appeared to move fine through the motor. I go to another dealer tonight to buy a 115 Pro XS.

Back