Logo

2011 F50 stalls after throttling down

rejesterd

Regular Contributor
About 1-3 times a day, the engine will stall out after throttling down from high rpm. Typically, I run the engine at about 5800 rpm when traveling around (for maybe 1-3 minutes at a time), and then throttle down back to idle or close to idle. For reference, it will easily go over 6000 rpms if I go full throttle. It accelerates very quickly. I don't notice any issues with power. But it occasionally stalls when going back to idle or close to idle. Sometimes it will also stall when going from neutral to drive, but that's rare.

After stalling, it never fails to restart immediately, and I don't have another stall for a few hours (and sometimes for the rest of the day).

I should also note that it's slightly shaky when idling. It never seems like it struggles to maintain a consistent rpm or really get bogged down.. but it's a noticeable shake that I don't remember happening when I first got the boat 3 years ago. It's just a slight, consistent shake that occurs even after the engine is warmed up and has been run at 5800 rpms for a few minutes. This has been occurring since last season, but the stalling issue seems to be newer.

I've run most of the YDS 1.3 tests, and I see no error codes or odd behavior. This weekend, I'm going to do a spark test and compression test on each plug/cylinder.

I think my first step will just be to replace the spark plugs, but I'm wondering if I should check anything else. Thanks for any suggestions.

Solved: I sprayed some silicone and brake fluid around the intake manifold and the idle speed changed. So it looks like an air leak.

Back