Logo

2010 Mercury 60 - Alarm 3 beeps and 6 beeps

gbarfield

Yesterday while driving slow, my Merc 60 alarm beeped 3 times. Then about a minute or so later beeped 6 times then never did it again. I ran it about 1-1/2 hours after that at all speeds and could never replicate the issue. It ONLY beeped just above an idle.

Any ideas?

You boat in salt water? When is the last time you changed your thermostat? May be sticking. Over time will probably just get worse.

You boat in salt water? When is the last time you changed your thermostat? May be sticking. Over time will probably just get worse.

I take it in both salt and fresh water. Not sure last time the thermostat was changed. The beeps occur within the first few minutes of starting it. Took it out again two days ago. After starting it and letting it run a minute or two, I pulled away from the dock and ran it at about 2,000-3,000 rpm and the alarm beeped 3 times. About 3 minutes later it did it again and then about 3-4 minutes after that. I continued to run it for another hour with no beeps. It only happens near the beginning of it running.

Confusing symptoms for sure. Instrumentation will help. A non-contact Infrared Thermometer (Harbor Freight sells them for about 30 bucks) pointed at the rear of the block, where the spark plugs are mounted will tell you if your engine is any where near 195F that triggers the OT alarm. Once you have that piece of data you can look for electrical problems giving you a false indication.

Back