Logo

2010 30 HP Tiller Conversion Help

tdub

Hi. This is my first post.

Got a good deal on a Mercury 2010 30 hp long shaft with electric start and trim/tilt. Prior owner had it on a boat with remote steer was is going to re-fit with a 9.9 hp remote for fishing the HP restricted lakes in Northern Arizona. He stripped out all the cables he needs for the new motor. I purchased Tiller Handle kit 8M0051062 from a Mercury authorized dealer and was doing well with the conversion until page 25 step 33. The other instructions were pretty easy to follow but step 33 is pretty vague. Looking for a little help.

The instructions are:
"Connect the tiller handle ignition stop bullet connectors, the lanyard switch bullet connectors, and the engine harness ignition stop bullet connectors together"

What I have to work with are:

• A black with yellow stripe male bullet connector with a combination male bullet and female bullet connector both in solid black. These 2 wires came pre-attached to the tiller arm and are wrapped together in black tubing. They either come from the tiller handle ignition stop button at the end of the tiller arm or from the lanyard switch.
  • A solid black male bullet connector with a combination male bullet connector and female bullit connector in black with a yellow stripe that is not straight (it wraps around the wire). These 2 wires came pre-attached to the tiller arm and are wrapped together in black tubing. They either come from the tiller handle ignition stop button at the end of the tiller arm or from the lanyard switch.
  • Available from the new main wire harness are the following female bullet connectors....white with sole yellow rectangles, brown, yellow and black with grey rectangles

When I called Mercury direct for help they said there should be 4 wires coming out of the engine to make connections....little help. Wiring is color coded to make things easier and he could not help with matching wires and colors. Any help in making the connections will be a big help.

Another question. There is a 3 wire male connector available on the trim/tilt harness. The wire colors are red, blue and pink. On the old main wire harness there was a female connector with the same 3 colored wires. The new main wire harness does not have the female 3 wire connector. Do I leave it loose?

Last question...for now at least.On page 20 step 7 it says to "Install the neutral start switch onto the lever shift bracket and tighten nut." There is precious little space to get at the plastic nut to tighten it. Recommendations? Anyone know what size it is so I can try and purchase a short shaft wrench? I would measure it but it is already in place and as tight as I can get for now.

Will tray and attach pictures of all of above.

Thanks for any assistance!

Back