Logo

2009 Yamaha 225 excessive charge ?

Axop Alex

2009 Century with a 2009 Yamaha 225hp with 250hrs well and always maintained.

Recently 30 miles out I found some carbon shooting out at start up. Initially I assumed the bottom end is leaking and fought it was oil.
Right after return I checked the boat in with the local marina.
The Yamaha Mech / Marina called me and was fair enough to tell me that my engine / bottom end is in no need for repair that the "oil leak" is only carbon. All that was needed was some "treat mix" in the fuel. So far so good and very fair.

Unitil now....I just got my bill $ 445.00 the invoice states:

- Seatrial (only happened at start up so no driving necessary, just start the engine)
- Check Spark Plugs
- Call Yamaha
- Add Treatmix to fuel
- Seatrial

Before I call and complain I would greatly appreciate your guys input. Is this invoice reasonable ? IMHO that should not take more then an hour...am I wrong here ?

Thank you for your opinion.

I assume that the Treatmix is Yamaha's Ring Free treatment. Seems funny to need that on a 2009, 250hr engine, but certainly not a bad thing to do. If the mechanic did a sea trial, a proper check of your engine and gearbox, added Ring Free, and another sea trial I would be happy that is around 3 hours work assuming the boat is on the water or in a dry stack for easy launching. Looks like you may have been charged 4 hours and the Ring Free cost. Did they have to trailer the boat to the water?

papyson & aliboy: Thank you for your responses. I do not know what the mechanic considers a sea trial. The boat is in dry storage at the marine (same marina performing the repair work). I would assume he took it around the bay in front of the marina for a sea trial.
No trailering to the water. They take the boat out of the dry storage with the forklift an move 50 yards to the ramp and thats it, ready to go.

he ate up a half day probably..bill is prolly correct....you may have saved some money by towing it yourself to another shop...if you know how to check compression and spark there is plenty of free help here..

Back