Logo

2009 Tohatsu 40 TLDI dead

"I find it hard to believe tha

"I find it hard to believe that you could have run the oil reservoir dry TWICE. I have an 06 50hp TLDI which I've used moderately for 3 years, 6 month at a time. I've just added my 6th quart of oil and the reservoir is one half full. My low oil warning came on once until I added a bit, but there was still quite a bit left in the tank. Where is all the oil going???"

Your first post tells a story

Your first post tells a story in your favour....problem started at 8hrs of running...checked out by mechanic oil full etc....you need this mechanic to vouch for you.

"It went from 8 hours to 50 ho

"It went from 8 hours to 50 hours
"

"LOOK I'M NOT PLAYING GAME

"LOOK I'M NOT PLAYING GAMES HERE...whether it started at 8 hours or 50 or 150 OR 5000 hours is not the point...DOES THE ENGINE HAVE A VISABLE HOURS CLOCK TOHATSU GURU???? NO
I threw out that figure off the top of my head...ok its incorrect...its a BRAND NEW ENGINE regardless..even at 50 its nothing hrs wise for any engine.The engine did not get a 10 hr service as I was of the opinion it was only to change gear oil and maybe clean plugs from high oiling for first few hours by computer and was not vitally important but I did aim to try to get it back to them in reasonable timeframe.I immediatly rang Tohatsu uk to ask them if this voided the warranty...unless the gearbox was seized it does not.Being a considerable distance from the dealer I was not in any great rush to get it back there. The boat was in the water since February and 50 hours in my book is light use for an engine Tohatsu aims at commercial fishermen.
Besides this is one point that Tohatsu are not arguing on...the damage to the engine is severe and servicing it at 10 hrs wouldn't have saved it.
They are now trying find out why if it did go low on oil why did it not communicate to the buzzer and warning light.the engine showed no fault light at the workshop in ireland during 2 weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong...back in the UK it immediatly says the low oil thing happened twice...something does not add up here.The forward/reverse box, whatever its called is gone back to be tested yesterday...does this contain the buzzer??The system to cut the revs to 700 rpm did not kick in. The engine is so badly damaged they say it must have got very hot...but why did the over heat safety function/ warning not kick in????

WHY DID NONE OF THE EXTENSIVE AND IMPRESSIVE RANGE OF SAFETY FEATURES NOT ACTIVATE IF WHAT TOHATSU ARE SAYING IS CORRECT????

I'LL TELL YOU ONE REASON WHY....

****BECAUSE IT NEVER EVER WENT LOW ON OIL****

(I can't test anything myself independently. the engine and control remotes are disconnected and gone to uk...the wiring, clocks dials etc are on the boat in Ireland)"

And David Fass makes a very go

And David Fass makes a very good point. I have receipts for a substantial quantity of oil I bought when I collected the boat...it used very little in 50 hours....maybe here in lies the problem...the oil didn't go anywhere i'd say and certainly not into the cyclinders. AND IF ANYONE DOUBTS THAT I'M OUT TO GET TOHATSU I'LL POST SCANNED COPIES OF ALL PAPERWORK AND OIL RECEIPTS UP HERE FOR THIS ENGINE

"Take a pill and calm down. I

"Take a pill and calm down. I was kidding around with Rollie, not taking a shot at you. But, that hour difference is kind of curious now that I think about it. Makes me wonder what else you might not be accurate about. Are you the only one using the boat?"

Ah piss off...talk about anyth

Ah piss off...talk about anything except the legendary Tohatsi TLDI SEIZING FOR NO REASON.
i'm the only one using the boat...how are you meant to know how many hours exactly you put up on an engine in 2 months of casual leisure use with no hour clock on the boat...its a stab in the dark...can you put forward a valid argument as to why this engine seized or log off... all this bullshit as to what might have happened

Here's one

Maybe I met a lad in white with a beard and scars on his hands who was walking on water while we were fishing and I pulled up alongside him and he decided to turn the two stroke oil (TC-w3) into wine and we all got drunk while praising the lord and forgot to take notice of all the safety lights and buzzers...ITS POSSIBLE ISN'T IT?????

THE REALITY IS CUSTOMER SERVICE BY TOHATSU IN EUROPE IS A DISGRACE

"Are you mentally ill? Telling

"Are you mentally ill? Telling me to piss off when all I have done is provide you with help, information and procedure? No soup you for you."

"MY APOLOGIES to tohatsuguru..

"MY APOLOGIES to tohatsuguru..In hindsight I took you up wrong there completly and tried to adjust that post but its not possible...IT SHOULD BE ERASED as its hot air...short fuse now after weeks of battling on the phone with various technicans and no fair hearing...not easy.The reality is no-one knows why it didn't get oil but it certainly wasn't the customers fault and most people including your self agree it wasn't possible to starve it of oil in the manner tohatsu diagnostics equipment is claiming. I'm sick of the whole thing...this battle is goin on since April and I won't be posting anymore about it here anymore outside of the outcome.

I've already priced a replacement 2 stroke from another engine manufacturer to get me back in the water.Its far from the end of the world....sh1t happens. If you read my posts i've given great credit to this engine when it was working it was superb both in power and efficency and this is likely a freaK once off occurance(GOOGLE PROBLEMS WITH TLDI ENGINES...THEY DON'T EXIST AND THATS WHY I BOUGHT ONE BUT CUSTOMER SERVICE I'VE RECIEVED IS APPALLING AND A DISGRACE), but I won't tempt fate by buying a second one...If it gets replaced great if not I'll go the legal route and someone else will decide the outcome ...i'll post the outcome good bad or otherwise.
Cheers for the very prompt replies to all queries its an excellent service...Good evening"

Irish like TG says calm down m

Irish like TG says calm down man. No one here is pointing any blame at you. It sounds like none of the factories built in warnings systems failed either because they were defective from the start of the engine was rigged improperly. Rigged improperly would mean engine to remote control and all the warning horns/lights. If something was amiss with the electonic warning system it is possible there was also problems with the electronic engine management as well. Everyone here has had an alram go off before for over heat or what ever....you can't not hear it or ignore it. The dealer should now that too. However some of the things you have posted from the dealers side paints them as idiots. I wouldn't let them rig or service my engines.

"Finally got my engine back, e

"Finally got my engine back, end result was I had to pay towards getting it repaired, 400 euro. lot of parts in relation to cyclinders pistons etc had to be replaced. Not happy, this engine is damaged goods as far as i'm concerned and has been grossly devalued but thats the end of it. I'll let someone else be the judge of Tohatsu customer service."

I'd just like to inform Jo

I'd just like to inform Joe Public that my engine has again damaged all its cyclinders/pistons and is very low on compression AND WON'T START.It now has 150 hours on it. I am again being refused a new engine ( it seized at 50 and was rebuilt-see fiasco in above posts)until it is sent to the uk to be taken apart.
It has been assessed by the dealers mechanics who have told Tohatsu it is damaged beyond repair. Again no warning light except one for low battery voltage after we were towed back to the marina..I presume from trying to start it over and over.
Am I the only one who finds this incredible...I've forked out €8000 euro's at this stage and reckon i've had my boat in the water for about 6 weeks since February. I was a bigger fool for paying them €400 to rebuild a damaged engine which was brand new.
BUYER BEWARE I say... certainly in relation to Tohatsu customer service in Europe

"It's incredible...Now you

"It's incredible...Now you have a choice to make.

A) You can either let them try to fix it again and blame you for it again.

B) Contact Tohatsu Japan and get them involved.

C) Pursue legal action.

Personally I would go with B and if you do not get the desired result then try C.

It's not an engine design problem as you are the only one in the world having an issue. So, that leaves either a production issue with your individual engine(always a possibility) or an application issue(usually the problem).

Application issues can be anything from a consumer malfunction such as no oil or water in the gas, to a dealer malfunction such as hooking up the wiring incorrectly, putting in too small of a battery, not bleeding the oil system or not setting the TPS sensor. Based on your previous posts I would suspect that your dealer is not competent to work on this model engine. That does not mean they are evil. It just means that they are in over their head. That's a worldwide problem that occurs on all brands of engines that use any kind of fuel injection system. The fact that you have had no warning indicators, from the beginning, is an indication of improper set up. Your engine can't go boom without warnings occurring, unless the warning system is not working. If the warning system is not working the dealer would know that from their set up on the engine and their testing now that they have it back in again. I urge you to visit www.tohatu.com and ask them to look into your case."

Back