Logo

2009 BF225 Water In #6 cylinder and the Intake Manifold After Rebuild

Bluefin23

My 2009 BF225 threw a rod due to water in the cylinder. The rod went through the side of the block. This happened in cylinder #6 at a slow speed right after being on a plane. After some research it seem that if the engine is low in the water then water can back up through the exhaust and cause this problem.

I purchased a factory short block and rebuilt the engine. I also replaced the exhaust manifold on the #6 cylinder side as a precaution. I did not replace or test the heads. All gaskets were replaced.

The rebuilt engine started immediately. While idling with cooling muffs on the trailer (the rebuilt engine has only 10 minutes run time) the engine locked up and has water in the #6 cylinder. There is also water in the intake manifold as seen when the gray intake manifold upper cover was removed.

Very frustrating. Any ideas on where the water is coming from?

I don't know a thing about this motor, but after replacing the block and manifold chasing down the issue without success, I'd be REAL suspicious of that head.....

I am certainly suspecting the head also. Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue with water in the #6 cylinder? This was an expensive repair mistake for me.

I don’t have the same engine but on my 150 I’m currently working on there was a hole or holes in the cylinder head but only visible after we removed the valves. Otherwise it looked completely normal. Like others have said I would suspect the head. U might be ok if it only locked up and didn’t throw another rod. Pull the plugs and see if it will turn over.

Interesting that there was a hole in your 150 cylinder head as seen with the valves removed. I pulled my plugs and the starter will not turn the engine. The rod did not go through the block but something is significantly wrong. Most likely needs a new head and a block teardown. The engine only has 550 hours on it.

I have decided to throw in the towel. I found a 2023 BF250 in stock at a reasonable price with a nearby dealer. Would probably buy a Yamaha but the price and availability was much better with the Honda.

Thanks

Interesting that there was a hole in your 150 cylinder head as seen with the valves removed. I pulled my plugs and the starter will not turn the engine. The rod did not go through the block but something is significantly wrong. Most likely needs a new head and a block teardown. The engine only has 550 hours on it.

I have decided to throw in the towel. I found a 2023 BF250 in stock at a reasonable price with a nearby dealer. Would probably buy a Yamaha but the price and availability was much better with the Honda.

Thanks

Thanks
Yes. I have 840 hours 2009. I would post a pic but it says the file size is too large. I’m hoping to repair then repower in a few years and go up a few hp. Good luck with your adventures.

I had a small amount of water getting into my No. 5 (just happenstance noticed a few salt crystals in the cylinder when running a borescope after a de-carb), which I attributed to a head gasket/head issue, and kept running it with the plan to fix it in the winter, and because YOLO, I guess... Plan didn't work out because No. 6 apparently also had water getting into it, and enough that it hydrolocked a short time later. When I tore it down, No. 6 and the intake manifold had a lot of water in them. I replaced the head because I had the obvious head issue on No. 5 and it seems to have resolved the issue. I never did an investigation of what exactly was wrong with the old head since it was crazy warped and just sitting in the corner of my shop now. I guess it also could have unrelated to the head and just water up the exhaust in No. 6, but I wouldn't think that would result in as much water in the intake manifold as I had.

I have also had water come into cylinder 6 on my other engine, which I believe came up through the exhaust. When launching/retrieving the boat on the ramp, with the hard incline of the ramp, the exhaust ports are sometimes underwater when shutting the engine off. If the No. 6 exhaust valves are open at shut-off, it allows water into the cylinder, but basically just drains back out since the engine is off and the exhaust valves open. So it doesn't result in a hydrolock issue, but obviously not good to have water in your combustion chambers ever. I've tried to be more careful when launching and retrieving to make sure the exhaust ports are above water when shutting the engine off.

Thanks for sharing all your information. Great that you a changed the head after observing water in the cylinder. If I had changed my head (along with the short block) I would have a fully functional engine at this point. Instead, I have a pile of junk. Oh well. Time to move forward!

Back