Logo

2009 90hp four stroke hard starting?

wijames

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just purchased a 30' pontoon with a 90hp Honda four stroke on it. The engine runs great after starting but takes forever to start the first time. Maybe I'm just not going at it the right way so my questions is, what is the normal starting procedure for these engines? Thanks

If you are sure that it is a 2009, it is fuel injected....

Squeeze the fuel bulb until it is hard. Most of the time, you should not even have to do this.

Shifter should be in neutral. Do not advance the throttle.

Turn the key and it should start right up.

If you do not have a copy of the owner's manual, you can download one from Honda for free. You just have to pick the right one based on the motor's serial number. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF90EFI

Mike

Actually I'm not sure of the year. I only got the boat last week and that was what the seller told me it was. I do know it is a 90hp Honda four stroke and I'm going to get the serial number this weekend. The boat is in the water so it's hard to check things out but I do plan to pull the cover. Is the year marked on the engine tag?
The morning after I got it into it's slip I tried to start it as you suggested but it took me 20 min to get it started. When I emailed the seller, he told me to "Pump the bulb up tight, give it a little throttle, choke it and it should start right up" I havent tried that yet but I didn't think EFI motors had chokes and I didn't think I should have to advance the trottle.

EFI motors do not have chokes. Maybe it is not a 2009. If you pull the hood off, do you see 4 carburetors on the starboard side? Also, before you take off the hood, looking at the engine from inside the boat, do you see a black manual choke knob on the lower left front? If so, it is carbureted and you should start it as the seller said.

If you are still not sure, post the frame serial number and that will tell me exactly what you have.

Mike

Back