Logo

2008 Merc 150hp EFI help with noise

Jkeeney20

Motor started making a noise on the lake few days ago...kind of hard to explain, but sounds like taking a wrench and barely taping it against motor or something close. You can’t hear it or it doesn’t do it in nuetral or just idling in gear...once you give it gas and start going you can hear it, it gets quicker with speed of boat or rpms...almost like having a rock in your tire and the faster you go the quicker the sound of rock hitting rd gets for example...when it started doing it I only ran it once more to get me back closer to ramp, then idled in...at idle once I ran it I could barely hear it here and there...any help or where to point me would be awesome...I have some experience working on motors, but not a pro by any means...thanks so much

If you suspect it's the lower unit. I would remove it and dis assemble it for inspection. You may have something floating around in there that's not supposed to be there. Or there is damage inside. Sometimes I've seen the magnet that's on the bottom drain screw come loose inside the gear case.

If you suspect it's the lower unit. I would remove it and dis assemble it for inspection. You may have something floating around in there that's not supposed to be there. Or there is damage inside. Sometimes I've seen the magnet that's on the bottom drain screw come loose inside the gear case.

The noise is consistent, and gets faster as boat gets faster...if it was something floating wouldn’t it be random tinks/clanks or whatever....it’s like tink.....tink.....tink....tink...tink..tink.tink.tink.tink as I pick up speed...thanks so much for info

Back