Logo

2008 Evinrude 115hp Stalling

demako

I have a 2008 Evinrude 115hp - It tends to stall when going in and out of gear. If I can get it not to stall, it runs perfectly. Any advice?

Usually due to no power on one cylinder... unless you've been tinkering with the linkages. :)

First, with "all" spark plugs removed, check the compression. What are the psi reading of all cylinders?

Second, still with plugs removed, check the spark... the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If the above two areas are as they should be, the problem is usually a fouled carburetor, in which case, remove, clean, and rebuild as needed.

There have also been cases where it boiled down to simply a failed spark plug. Don't overlook that possibility.

Just guessing here, but I would imagine the ETEC has some kind of ignition interrupt in the shift linkage to minimize torque applied to the driveshaft as the drive gear engages or disengages with the driven gears in the lower unit. If that is correct, I'll bet the diagnostic will tell you a sensor or switch is failing causing the ignition to completely cut out rather than coming back on once the gear position is achieved.

No such sensors.

You want to guess? Then just shotgun the plugs. Change them out, be sure to index them.
Be sure to only use the specified plug. No substitutes.
Also, run the proper tests on the TPS...i.e. adjustment, and smooth operation.
If the TPS has a dead spot, it might cause this. However, there is a fault and associated code for TPS problems....so....

Else, get it on EvDiags to see if it has any stored codes.

Back