Logo

2008 90ELPT 4S Cranks But Won't Start

sloan188

Hi folks - I have a 2008 90ELTP 4S that left me stranded on the water yesterday needing a tow in. Motor pulled us without issue to fishing cove, powered off and used minnkota then powered back on idled out to channel and motor started acting like it wasn't getting fuel. Sometimes there was a squeel/wine when I turning key from no power to power. Long story short, we got towed back.

Last night I removed the FSM, dismantled and checked the low pressure pump (seemed ok and runs with suction off 12 volts), the high pressure pump (seemed ok and runs with suction off 12 volts) and the pressure regulator (the screen was full of black crap so I dismantled, cleaned and put back together thinking this may be the issue). Put everything back together today and still no start. High side seems to have fuel and pressure. Motor just cranks and doesn't try to start.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks,

Dave

Made some progress this afternoon - the issue is definitely fuel related. The high side fuel pressure is dropping - now just need to find out exactly why.

I pulled the high side behind the inline filter, aimed it into a bucket, turned the key on and initially not much came out but then a solid stream was flowing. Buttoned everything back up and took it to the lake. Started up and idled great. Went for ride and all well initially then engine started to bog. Pulled cowling, opened line behind high side filter, key on/off - nothing initially, then a solid stream. Button everything up and engine ran well then started to bog. Rince & repeat with the same results.

So, looks like the issue is somewhere between the tank and high side inline filter.

I wonder if one of the fuel pumps is failing...

Faulty float (stuck open) was the issue. Float can be tested with ohm meter - float down should be zero ohms, float up should be open.

Both pumps (low pressure/lift & high pressure) checked out fine by applying 12V (pumps have +/- marked on them).

Back