Logo

2007 Yamaha F115 safety switch?

sudiki

Ok, I'll probably get roasted for this question but is there a safety switch of some sort that prevents the engine from starting/turning over when it is in the fully up position? I shipped my PTT off to get rebuilt and wanted to fog the cylinders and turn the engine over to distibute the fogging oil seeing how it has sat for a good while. So i pulled the plugs and fogged it. When I turned the key to the start position all I got was a "click"/clunk" and then nothing. When I tried it again I got nothing at all. The 2 batteries are brand new. If there is a safety switch preventing the engine turning over can I manually turn it over with a emergency starting rope?

I know of no Yamaha that has a safety switch, tied to the engine trim or tilt position, that prevents it from being cranked.

If your model has a rope start surely you can use that to turn the motor over. You can also jumper the starter relay to cause the motor to crank a turn or two.

Well I was kind of hoping that there was because if not; it just means I have another problem to fix besides the PPT! I really didn't like the "clunk" sound from the engine.... and I don't know where it came from as it only did it once. starter? engine? etc.

Back