Logo

2007 115 hp optimax

Mtsaz

HI everyone- I hope you had a nice thanksgiving. I have a 2007 optimax 115- which is literally a new motor and boat. My brother and I bought it new in 2007 and he died 3 months later- we used in one time for about 30 minutes (then it got dark)---it was after we picked it up from cabelas. Anyway- his estate was in probate, and his girlfriend tried to get the boat, so thankfully, my dad- the admin- had it stored (covered) and shrinkwrapped and had the motor serviced and started several times a year- and serviced annually. When I got it this year, I cleaned it up, and my wife and I went to the lake---the same one ironically we went to when we got the boat. It ran perfectly but someone had messed up the prop---not rocks- but where the exhaust comes out it was bent- so I bought a new one. Its ran flawlessly all year. I recently changed the plugs and found some autolite irridiums on sale- and bought them, put a new fuel and air filter in, greased it, changed lower unit oil and impeller. We went to the lake and it wont idle but runs perfect WOT. I came home and thought - its those plugs. I bought some ngk (spec plugs)- and same exact thing. I checked the fuel filter---to see if there was gunk in the bottom- (from the fuel lines) no. So I am wondering if I have some bad fuel- 26 gallons of it. I might siphon it into my cars and refill the boat up with premium. I always run star-tron- and have never had issues in many many years. I guess the next step is to check the air/fuel pressure- and see if I have 10psi difference, and beyond that- I am confused- unless its an injector or some other issue. Does anyone have any ideas? I worked at an evinrude dealer for a few years doing service- I am not completely naive about servicing motors and I have the (genuine) mercury service manual. Everything I do is done to specs---torqued properly, proper supplies- grease oil etc- the only time I have deviated is on those autolite plugs- and that doesnt appear to be the problem.

Is this an optimax problem? There seems to be many that have idle problems at one time or another. If all else fails I will find a mercury service center here in phoenix. Thanks

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my 2004 115ELPTO until I drained the gas tank and put fresh non-ethanol into it (91 octane). No issues since. Have you had a chance to top it off?

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my 2004 115ELPTO until I drained the gas tank and put fresh non-ethanol into it (91 octane). No issues since. Have you had a chance to top it off?

I bought a 3 gal plastic tank and put 3 gal of premium 91 octane (NON ETHANOL)---and put the hose on it vs to the boats tank. No difference in operation.
Someone suggested the following:

1- check reed valves.---also heard that they never go bad in 115 optimax. (I'm sure that they have gone bad before)
2- check the MAP.
3- check poppet valve
4- check thermostat.
5- check 8 pin cannon plug/cable---I guess the connecting pins get deformed slightly and make poor contact. My tach was acting up a while ago---which I suppose could come from that ----but I dont want to waste time. SO if anyone knows anything about this- please let me know.

Of course I could just go to the mercury dealer---oh yeah I tried. Cabelas has no techs----or has 1, and everyone else are booked up for months. I did pull the spark plug wires off when it was running, and it ran worse everytime i took one off- however, does anyone know what the coils should measure if put on ohm meter? Or what kind of voltage should come out of one? I have a spark tester and timing light- but i would like to eliminate those coils once and for all. Someone said that the wires get damaged (coil wires) and cause intermittent problems.

I'm just very frustrated- but trying to do this logically. The filters are new, the plugs are new, the fuel pump was rebuilt, the injectors were cleaned, the VST was cleaned and new seals/gaskets installed. I am going to recheck the pressures today- I took the fuel rail apart and checked the diaphragms which were fine. I restarted it- with new gas and still didn't fix it but it runs so its all put back together properly. Thank you everyone.

I read your OP and out of the book you wrote I see two words "wont idle".

Maybe you should expand on the actual issue "Wont idle" and then we can help. Just want the facts.

I'm having the same issue right now just rebuilt the engine due to piston failure and now just started it and it runs and feels like it's missing bad mine is a 2006 90 optimax

Back