Logo

2006 Optimax Hot fuel rail

mrv8outboard

I have a 2006 150XL Optimax. Starboard fuel rail is hot. Starboard cylinder head is also warmer. No alarms. New water pump and thermostats. Port side strainer cleaned. Hoses clear. 80 air 90 fuel. Compression good. Pulled the Starboard head and cooling area was clean.

Engine starts fine, runs fine until it is pushed above 5000 RPMs (WOT 6000 RPMs). The issue is not immediate but once it stars is get gradually worse. The engine starts to cut in and out. Then looses power. If you reduce the throttle you can reduce the severity. Pull back more on the throttle to around 2000 RPMs it stabilizes for a moment then dies. The engine will restart but to keep it running you have to stay under 2000 RPMs.

Trying to watch the gauges I believe the fuel pressure drops ever so slightly just before it stalls. I think the fuel is boiling. The VST get hot, I believe from the fuel from the starboard fuel rail being hot.

Port side head is 136 degrees starboard is 146 degrees.

What an I missing?

Could be fuel supply. The fuel will get hot in VST if fuel pump is cavitating and will pushed hot fuel thru fuel system. Run it on a test tank

Back