Logo

2006 Optimax 150 (Help!)

trailking08

Hello,
I think I may have made a big mistake. I recently purchased a boat with a 2006 Mercury Optimax 150L DFI outboard on it. I thought I was getting a great deal as the boat is practically immaculate and the motor has less than 30 hours on it, as it had set garaged since 2013. When I purchased it the gentleman drained the fuel tank, put new gas and new battery in it, and it fired right up and seemed to run fine! My mistake was that I purchased it with only running it on dog ears and did not take it to the lake to test it out (feeling pretty foolish right now)! I took my granddaughter out for its first outing this weekend and it seems the motor is having some major problems. It runs fine at idle and seems to run ok if I slowly throttle up, until it hits around 2000 rpm, and then it starts cutting out and sputtering. Once I throttle back to around 1000 rpm it settle down and I can throttle back up again. It seems to run OK as long as I throttle up slowly and keep it below 2000 rpm. If I try to punch the throttle it cuts out at any RPM. I called the local marine repair shop and was told that the optimax motors do not like to sit for long periods of time and "for starters" as he put it, I would probably need to have all following replaced: fuel lines; fuel filter/separator; and all three fuel pumps; along with injectors cleaned and/or replaced, at a cost of $1500 - $2000 dollars "for starters"! Needless to say I am feeling pretty sick to my stomach, and even more foolish about now! I am pretty mechanical and have the basics for tools, so I started reading some of the forums on people having similar issues, and here is what I have done so far: I replaced the fuel line and primer bulb; I replaced the fuel filter and oil filter; checked oil in both tanks and primed them; I disconnected the fuel line on the mechanical pump and tested (it squirted out fine); I had my wife turn the key on while holding and listening to the electric fuel pumps (here is where there may be trouble, but not sure)! It was difficult to tell if they were both running so I disconnected the power to each, one at a time and turned the key on. The pump that is in the box with the fuel filter (I think it is the high pressure pump) would click and then rev-up as if pumping fuel (I could hear gurgling as if air bubbles were in the line but not sure if that is normal.) When I tried the other electric pump (low pressure?) it clicked but did not rev-up at all. Are both pumps supposed to run when the key is first turned on? Any other Ideas on what could be going on or what I should try?
I do not have thousands of dollars to have the dealer diagnose/replace all of these parts, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry so long!

All right. First, make your future posts short and to the point.

You want to go down to your local auto parts/harbor freight and get a fuel pressure gauge. Check the fuel pressure while running the boat on the water, push the throttle up and see what you have, My guess is your low pressure electric pump is not working especially if the engine runs at idle. This pump failing will cause an Opti to buck at low rpms. I would also rebuild the mechanical lift pump....this is a simple job.

Post the serial number so we know what engine you have.

Thank you for the response. The serial number is 1B319629. I am heading over to Harbor Freight to see if I can get a gauge. Where does the gauge need to be hooked up (in-line, fuel rail)?
Also, when I looked up a replacement it looks like the aftermarket ones that are offered are significantly cheaper (OEM is 3x the price), in your opinion are the aftermarket pumps OK to use or am I just creating more problems by not sticking with OEM?

Thanks again!

Untitledo.jpg

Ok, I took it out this weekend and put a gauge on it. It was showing 90 psi when it was at 1000 rpm, it started bouncing between 60 - 90 psi at 1600 rpm, and dropped to 40 psi when I hit around 2000 rpm. When I got home I pulled the power connectors on both fuel pumps and put power to them, the high pressure pump clicks and then starts pumping fuel, the low pressure pump clicks but does not pump fuel! I went ahead and ordered new fuel pumps and a rebuild kit for the mechanical pump, they are supposed to be in tomorrow. I noticed that there seems to be specialty type clamps on some of the fuel fittings. How do you get those off without damaging the fuel line, and do you have to use the same type connectors or will regular hose clamps or zip ties work? Any tips for replacing these would be appreciated.

Great, your low pressure pump is the problem.

The clamps get cut off with a good set of dykes. Do not twist them, just cut them.

They are called Oetiker Clamps. If you look at them closely there is a number that designates their size...IE..15.7

You must replace the clamps with the same...You local Mercury dealer should have them.

Great job guys. Enjoyed this thread. Working on a 2003 here that customer bought at auction. No info on it at all. Really sure your problem is the pump. Likely had ethanol in it when stored. Sounds like a car or truck with low fuel pressure or a plugged filter, same symptoms.....starving for fuel for sure. The high pressure pump is doing its job, just not getting the food it needs. You should get a bottle of Amsoil Quik Shot. It will take care of any crap by slowly dissolving it and burning it up. The injectors will need that. Just get a bottle and follow directions. It works great. Another great product by Amsoil is PI. Works along the same lines. I had my big Fleetwood Caddy stored for 6 years in a damp storage facility. Had mostly non oxy with Stabil in the tank. It barely ran, then eventually stalled and had to tow it home. Drilled a hole in tank and drained all, made a nice plug. Refilled with non oxy and PI. Within 30 minutes of running it smoothed out. Took it down on the highway and worked it. Within 50 miles, WOW! Perfect. The fuel I had drained out earlier was so bad, I thought I'd have to drop the tank, clean, and replace fuel pump. Then replace filter and all injectors. This is the same engine as in the late 80's and early 90's Corvette. It uses a chip that reduces the horsepower and cuts spark at 106 mph. Caddy's aren't supposed to go too fast, Right? I feel your high pressure pump is fine, but you may have to replace the low pressure especially if it is not running at all. Try that quick shot for sure, you will save some cash in the long run. There is only 30 hours on this motor, that hp pump should be still perfect. Example my Caddy. This product is engineered for exactly your problem. Good job guys, Tim

Last edited:
Back