Logo

2006 Mercury 496 Sucking Noise

ebbtide2006

Can anyone help? I own an 2006 Ebbtide with a 496 mercury in it. Between 2500 RPM's and 3200 RPM's there is a loud air sucking noise. The boat runs great but I have never heard this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It kind of sounds like there might be a chance that you may have lost your idle air control "Muffler" inside the throttle body area. It is a little foam piece that just sit's over (Covers) a passage hole for the idle air control valve around the throttle body area. You will need to remove the flame arrestor to check for the old muffler and install a new one if needed.

If you need one, Then you will need number #5 in the link below.
Merc part # 35-863829 — MUFFLER-IAC MSRP: $1.40.:cool::)

thank you for the advice boat_tech. I did remove the fire arrestor and there are two ports inside the throttle body. Are there two mufflers or one? the diagram shows two ports just like in mine. One had a muffler in it but it was black and gunky and the other port did not have a muffler.

There is only one muffle, See number 5.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=881784002&ivar=images/COMMON/6776.png&inbr=11415&bnbr=70&bdesc=Throttle+Body%2C+Mechanical+Throttle%2DShift

With it being dirty it time to replace the muffle and clean inside the throttle body area the best you can, even if it doesn't solve the loud air sucking noise you hear.
The muffle is mainely to dampen the sound at idle.

I do believe the sound you hear at mid cruise is considered normal on the 496 mercruiser engines though. These engines suck in a lot more air than usual.

But for another opinion about that I'd recommend calling Mercruiser Consumer tech Support at 405-743-6566, or you could also email them your question at the link below and ask them for their opinion on this one as well, They are there for you. Good luck.:)

http://www.mercurymarine.com/contact-us-online-merc/

Sterndrives, Inboards, Tow Sports Inboards MerCruiser,
3003 N. Perkins Road
Stillwater, OK 74075-2299
Mercruiser Consumer tech Support,
Phone: 405-743-6566
Fax: 405-743-6570

Last edited:
Back