Logo

2006 Mariner 50Hp 2 stroke gear shift.

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I have a 2006 Mariner 50 Hp two stroke triple OP409797 which someone (not me) has wrecked the lower unit. I have another lower unit from a 2006 Mariner 50 triple but the shift linkage is shorter than the one I am removing. Is the shift shaft interchangeable ( the shift linkage is an up/down lingage, not a splined shaft ) and if it is, does the unit have to be stripped to change it or can you change it through the top of the unit?
Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Regards,

Graham.

Now I know why you Technicians are worth your weight in Gold!
So I managed to strip my gearbox down but cannot get the drive shaft out of the housing. It seems to be held in by the corrosion around the water pump base bearing/housing.
Does this come out with the addition of some heat? I have been a Vehichle Tech for 45 Years and am used to things being seized in place but not usually due to salt water contact.
As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Graham.

if you can get a curved prybar in the gearcase try prying up between the end of the driveshaft and forward gear.you could also take a curved jaw visegrip and clamp it on the driveshaft then tap upward

if you can get a curved prybar in the gearcase try prying up between the end of the driveshaft and forward gear.you could also take a curved jaw visegrip and clamp it on the driveshaft then tap upward

Thanks for that which I tried but it would not shift. I had to destroy the lower casing to get the drive shaft out but I need to put the driveshaft into another unit which I dont want to destroy. The part which is causing the issue is part No 821307A Engine serial is OP 409797. How do I get this part out? I am intending to drill some holes in the side of it so that I can turn it. Does that sound feasible?
Sorry for that bold typing. Not sure what happened there.

looks like in the parts breakdown that it should just slide off the driveshaft.have you tried to heat it with a torch

Managed to get it out. The base seal carrier was just seized in place. Drilled it both sides and got a pin wrench in it to twist it loose and it came out successfully.
Thanks for all the suggestions.:)

Back