Logo

2006 Honda BF 225 Internal Anodes

xsplicer26

Contributing Member
While doing some engine repair on my 2006 Honda BF 225, I decided to remove the exhaust manifolds and found my internal engine anodes to be in very bad shape.

20171024_171406 (Medium).jpg

20171024_171412 (Large).jpg

I purchased new anodes and new screws from Boats.net and replaced the worn anodes. Here are pics of the parts numbers.

20171026_221702 (Large).jpg

Here is a pic of the new screws and anodes installed in the exhaust manifolds.

20171026_232540 (Large).jpg

I had the same on my anodes in the inlet manifold on a 130hp i used Durbans formula and it cleaned them up perfectly they are just a little pitted but should last another 10 to 15 years . take the cover off on the side of the block where the water comes up from the impeller there are some in there as well .

Not really sure exactly where you are referring. I know only of the anodes internally that I have replaced.
I will do some more reading to see where there may be more internal anodes.

I found the other 2 anodes on the side looking from the aft end on the port side of the block on my motor there is a cover where the water comes up from the impeller to feed the water into the sleeves area of the block and also through the cylinder head . inside that cover is also a poppet valve use DURBANS FORMULA and paint a inside there with those small artist paint brushes leave it for a few hours then repeat also do this when you remove the cylinder head paint inside the block and sleeve area it takes all the salt out that has accumulated over the years . as salt water is like cancer to your motor if its not treated its gonna eat big holes in your motor over the years .

Last edited:
Help!

i tried to replace the internal anodes today, bought every parts except the seal guide (18148-cy3-003). Taking of the manifold are easy, however, I can’t make the screws aligned when I reinstalled the manifold; they just sat higher...I took the old seal guides out, cleaned and greased them, tried everything I could but the screws are still 1/32” too high...
do I have to use new seal guides? Or is there a trick to lower the manifolds?
Please help!!

Regardless of what others have posted, I know of only four internal anodes on the BF 225 - those that you replaced. If there are others, they are not in the Helm shop manual or any parts diagram I have seen.

As for realignment of the manifolds. Not sure why that is happening, but I have to ask - are you absolutely sure that you are putting them back on correctly - left to left, and top to top?

Regardless of what others have posted, I know of only four internal anodes on the BF 225 - those that you replaced. If there are others, they are not in the Helm shop manual or any parts diagram I have seen.

As for realignment of the manifolds. Not sure why that is happening, but I have to ask - are you absolutely sure that you are putting them back on correctly - left to left, and top to top?
I am pretty sure I did not mix them up. The left manifold has O2 sensor, and there is only one way to slid the manifolds down to the hxhaust pipe base. The only thing I can think of is the old seal guides expanded or wrapped over time so they sit higher that cause the misalignment.
The worst thing is, my boat yard is 70 minutes away from my home. I need to wait for next weekend, if weather permits, to try something again..

Roger that. Take and post pictures, especially of the guides. Is it possible that the O ring on the bottom is not seating correctly or has expanded? I believe it's supposed to fit in a grove.

See item #22 at:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...5A6 XA/EXHAUST MANIFOLD THERMOSTAT/parts.html
I will take pictures next time I go down. The o-ring (#22 in that diagram) is actually sit above the the seal guide (as shown in the go “F9”). You are right about the manifolds sit right in the grove of the exhaust pipes, the seal guide cover the outside ring of the grove. There is no seal in the grove but lots of silicon sealant. Very difficult to clean out the sealant. The shop manual only says “ grease “ the grove, but I guess someone felt the other way. I ordered a flex shaft for my rotary tool, and will bring a car vacuum with me next time.
Thanks.

For the guys who have successfully removed and reinstalled the manifolds was it just a case of sliding the manifolds back into the exhaust pipe and being able to get it seated correctly to align the manifold bolts or did you have to undo the bottom of the waterjacket a few turns to lower the pipes and then install the manifold bolts and then retighten the water jacket.

just a case of sliding the manifolds back into the exhaust pipe and being able to get it seated correctly to align the manifold bolts

Pic of motor being lifted, exhaust manifolds are off

Attachments

• 20171019_164908 small.jpg
    20171019_164908 small.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 323

I'm coming up on 800hrs on one of my 225-AK3s. I'm reviewing my shop manual for the AK3 - and it shows the 4 anodes inside the exhaust manifold, but also some anodes on the Cylinder Sleeve Water Jacket (Page 3-21).

I believe this is part #4 on this diagram: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...hp/bf225ak3-xcw-2007-and-later/cylinder-block. The part list suggest there are 6 of them.

There is also the Cylinder Block Anodes (Part #5 (qty=2)), I think this is covered on 3-23 in the manual which starts with
1. remove engine
2. remove oil pump base ...

The schedule says this needs to be replaced at 1200 hours and doesn't have an 'inspect' schedule, which is just as well - as they lost me at the "remove engine" part.

So that makes 12 internal anodes in total?

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the additional anodes on the AK3's and later. However, I recall that in the past Ian6766 has given some good advice on changing them out. So search his posts on this forum and see what he has posted.

Back