Logo

2006 BF5 Recoil Starter Gear keep getting stuck

Hi,
I'm no expert on these. I haven't seen one in years but we had about 15 of them in a rental fleet I worked on. They were good outboards but I remember that the recoil starters gave us plenty of headaches. I remember we bought lots of replacement parts for those.

People tend to goop grease on the gears and that causes problems. But yours looks nice and clean and grease free. So, I will take a guess at what MIGHT be happening....but...these are only guesses.

Yours looks like it is assembled properly but, if there is "slop" in the friction spring retainer or the tab isn't correctly engaged, the spiral gear can get cocked to one side and hang up. You might want to disassemble that and see how much wear there is on the thrust washer. See items 5, 7, 9 in the link below

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...n-bads-1800001-to-bads-1999999/recoil-starter

Check that the rubber cushion under the gear isn't deteriorated and wadded up in there. Item 11.

I see some damage to your gear teeth and that could be causing the gear to hang on to the flywheel. The only fix would probably be to replace the gear.

The only other thing I can think of is that the crankshaft might have too much end float....commonly called crankshaft thrust. That could allow the flywheel to move too much vertically and cause the gears to hang up.

The crank float or thrust is typically checked with a dial indicator while gently prying up the flywheel. I don't know the specification for that but would worry if it were more than 0.010" or 0.015".

Hopefully someone else here has a magic bullet fix for you.

Good luck.

Agreed with the above.----I took the recoil and re-enforced the lower cup.----This prevented the pin / axle from bending.

Hi,
Forgot to say that if you decide that you need to replace the plastic starter gear I would recommend that you also replace the pulley.

Good luck

Back