Logo

2006 4stroke 8hp merc has problem with shifter

robert_kardonis

"I use the above motor as a ki

"I use the above motor as a kicker. Problem is that when I put in nuetral to start, I cannot pull the cord because the mechanism remains locked as if it is in gear. It looks like I need to tighten or loosen the cable, but I'm not sure how to do it. The dealer fixed it a couple weeks ago, but now it is malfunctioning again. To start it, I have to remove the cover and manually hold it in unlocked position. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bob."

"Robert, is the safety mechani

"Robert, is the safety mechanism (moved) by a link rod or a cable (or can you tell)??"

"I finally found it in the ser

"I finally found it in the service manual - no notes on it at all, but see what you are referring to now.

It does appear to be adjustable at one end. I will post a couple of pictures. If it is adjustable, you want to make the cable a little "shorter". What looks to be the adjuster would be located up under the rewind starter assembly.

"A" would be one end of the cable in pic 1 - the second pic (37) would appear to be the adjuster, showing the whole assembly from one end to the other - winding that out counter-clockwise a turn or two may correct your issue...

191451.jpg

191452.jpg
"

Thanks! I really appreciate it

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Not sure how this will go till I take the diagram and look at the motor--hopefully I can find it.

Thanks again for finding this for me.

"Unfortunately, the diagram do

"Unfortunately, the diagram doesn't seem to match my motor. The entire cable is external--it does not run under the starter assembly. It hookks into the locking mechanism externally. Somehow the dealer corected the problem, at least temporarily, so it must adjust somehow. I bought the motor new in 06--maybe it is an 05. It is inconvenient to go back to the dealer, but maybe that is the best move at this point?"

"Yes, may be your best move -

"Yes, may be your best move - and either take a look at what they do to fix it or have them remove it all together and just be vigilant in putting it in neutral before you pull the cord..."

Back