Logo

2006 4.3l rebuild video

mcfam

I have to replace the head gaskets on my 2006 4.3l mercruiser and I have the manual and the parts but would like to watch a good video on it. can you please steer me in the right direction to view a good video.

youtube.com and manual #25

I punched that into youtube and didn't get any step by step videos and I have the seloc mercruiser stern drive repair manual but it isn't very detailed either. I am just alittle nervous about this big of a job and wish I could find something more detailed on it. Was there a specific video on youtube you know about.

If you good with tools and have the skills its about a 3 hr job start to finish.Seloc is good to sit on, thats about all.Will send a pm with a cell if you get stuck.
Is something dosent make sense ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove dist cap, rotate motor untill the rotor is facing a known location, usually straight toward you., lay cap away, remove dist.
Drain block / manifolds,/ risers, remove manifolds and risers. Remove intake manifold, remove valve covers, loosen rocker nuts and remove pushrods.
Remove any pumps, alt brackets etc. from the heads

Loosen all the head bolts a little at a time using the correct torque pattern to loosen them untill they can be removed . Head is ready to be lifted up and off at this point.

Lift head up and off the 2 dowel pins, inspect all surfaces, inspect block surfaces for damage, clean surfaces with sctoch brite pad or similiar product. roloc, etc.
Send to machine shop if necessary.
To Assemble:
Wash surfaces with alcohol, install new gaskets, install head bolts with sealant on the threads, Perma-Tex Aviation works well.torque in 3 or 4 stages untill spec # is reached using the correct torque pattern.
Install manifold gaskets using same product around the water inlet holes only. Apply a 1/4 inch thick bead if Black RTV on the front and rear of the block
Now PAY ATTENTION: Install intake manifold, start all bolts bY hand STOP,YOUR DONE UNTILL THE SILICONE CURES TOMORROW
Torque bolts to spec, install dist. making sure it seats in the oil pump, install dist cap, manifolds, hoses, control cables, wiring.

Last edited:
I'll add that you'll not only want to rotate the crankshaft until the distributor rotor aims towards #1 plug wire tower......., you'll want to stop the crankshaft at approx 6* prior to #1 TDC on the compression stroke.
When you reassemble, this will pay off when it comes to adjusting the spark advance to fire up on.

I was looking at the torque specs and I have a torque wrench but not a degree one. is the a way to use torque on all three bolt sizes instead of degrees?

I`ve used both, and tested both types and find no to very little difference in the values . I use 65Ft/lbs for the head bolts in 4 stages

Back