Logo

2005 twin 225 Honda bf225 won’t go over 3400 rpm under load

Josh83

Running on fresh fuel , all filters replaced as well as screens in vst . Both motors go up to 3400 rpm and that’s it . No cutting out idle fine . Any help would be appreciated.

Check fuel lines (so run from a separate fuel tank to rule out lines and tank pickup).... And check for nests in the air intakes!! 😉

(If they're both acting the same there probably has to be a common issue which, to me, points at the fuel supply)

Check fuel lines (so run from a separate fuel tank to rule out lines and tank pickup).... And check for nests in the air intakes!! 😉

(If they're both acting the same there probably has to be a common issue which, to me, points at the fuel supply)
On plastic 6 gallon tanks already . I’ll check intakes . Thanks for the advice . It sat for a year I thought going through both of the vts would fix it . Also checked all coils on both motors and there good .

Gotta agree with metal-chicken. If they both drink from the same tank, then likely a problem there.

The only other thing might be some kind of cabling/throttle control issue. Have you verified that the throttle bodies are being pushed completely to full fuel when your levers are all the way forward?

I Thought two critter nests in the intake would be just TOO coincidental.

But, it got me to thinking....
1. I could be wrong (often am)
2. There could still be nests....just smaller ones

While I've never seen a nest in a muffler like that....
If I didn't find anything there, or, in and around the throttle body, I'd start looking elsewhere.

It's very possible that two critters, of MUCH SMALLER stature could conceivably build very similar nests in very similar areas to affect both engines.

I'm talking about spiders building webs in the MAP sensor vent ports. The #1 load sensing components for these engines.

If your inspection of the intakes doesn't bear fruit, try those locations and see what you find.

Good luck

You say each one on plastic 6 gallon tanks, you mean separate tanks feeding separate outboards? Just a 100% clarification.

Unless something mechanical was changed wrong at the same time on both outboards?

Does your boat live in the water. Most common cause of both engines low on rpm is a dirty hull and props. It doesn't take much to cause a lot of drag

Does your boat live in the water. Most common cause of both engines low on rpm is a dirty hull and props. It doesn't take much to cause a lot of drag
Yes, because if the boat will not behave in the xpected manner one’s mind goes to the engine.
Many times the hull has growth and or the propeller has growth too which causes this situation.

Back