Logo

2005 Tracker Merc 60 Outboard Won't Always Crank When Ignition Turned - Sporadic

CRS

Fuel and battery are fine. Connections inside engine are fine. Sometime however, when I turn the ignition the engine just clicks but won't crank. The instruments spin up and elec getting to all other components. When after several attempts in finally does turn, it starts right up, runs great! Although I know little about this, it sounds like when my car starter solenoid when it was bad. Any thoughts out there? What might the problem be?

weak battery or bad
connection on battery or bad wire right at battery lug ?

That's what I thought at first. So I made sure that all battery terminal and connections within the engine were cleaned. Battery terminals are wing-nut tightened but this is the strange thing. If the problem were aat ny of these connections, then why would it eventually start even without my touching any of these connections but rather, by simply turning the key several times? It's a mystery. Thanks for your thoughts! I am afrraid that one of these times while out on the water, it wont engage and crank. Anyone else have an idea?

the click you are hearing is the starter solenoid picking...that should be putting battery voltage directly to the starter post...the best way to trouble shoot it is with a multimeter..measure the voltage there when you turn the key and hear the click...then measure the voltage on the positive post of the battery..use a unpainted surface on the motor as a ground for your negative lead on the meter..the amount of voltage is important..then get back to us please..

the click you are hearing is the starter solenoid picking...that should be putting battery voltage directly to the starter post...the best way to trouble shoot it is with a multimeter..measure the voltage there when you turn the key and hear the click...then measure the voltage on the positive post of the battery..use a unpainted surface on the motor as a ground for your negative lead on the meter..the amount of voltage is important..then get back to us please..

Many thanks papyson. I need to grab a multimeter from my son this week and will run the test next weekend back down here on the lake. Then I will post the results. Thanks also fastbullet. Remembering the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. God bless America!

Question: Does your battery use those finger tightening wing nuts? Seen more starting problems caused by them. If so, toss them out and bolt the cables to the battery with hex nuts and a stainless flat washer.

Jeff

Back