Logo

2005 mercury 150 efi lower unit installation problem looks like rear bearing fell out.

57cheby

I cant find this anywhere so please help. I removed the lower unit and replaced water impeller and when I go to install it the main shaft is hitting what it looks like to be a bearing up by the motor. This exact thing happened several years ago and I took it to a mechanic that said he had been doing this for 30 years and never seen the rear bearing fall out and get in the way, $5oo later it was back together. Well the same thing has happened I cant get it back in and it looks like a bearing has slid half way over the hole. Anyone have a experience like this?

I have no idea what bearing is anywhere near where the drive shaft goes into the bottom of the motor!! Try turning the flywheel to make the splines line up. If it is what you described, slide a broom handle up there and move whatever it is out of the way. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about though.

Update on post!
With the motor pointing straight down and a long skinny rod we moved what I would call a round bushing exactly to the center and was able to get the driveshaft back in. Apparently this is a problem on the 2005 model mercurys. Also I did it in neutral so when stabbing shaft was moving flywheel back and forth and it went right in.

Well after the celebration of installing the lower unit it wont go into gear. I never touched the shift shaft, anyway I could have completely missed the female side?

That is the crankshaft seal carrier and it keeps water out of crankshaft splines. It is a fairly common occurrence on V-6 models and highly recommend that powerhead be removed and it replaced into end of crankshaft

That is the crankshaft seal carrier and it keeps water out of crankshaft splines. It is a fairly common occurrence on V-6 models and highly recommend that powerhead be removed and it replaced into end of crankshaft
Several years ago this same thing happened so I took it to a local boat store and they removed powerhead and said they replaced it $500. Why would it fall out again, is this a common situation every time you have to change the water impeller?

Posting this to help another newbie. I put a jack under lower unit, removed all the bolts and lowered slowly to discover the shift splines didn’t line up and it just pushed the shaft up. I moved the shifter slowly and it slid in. I remembered when I pulled the unit off I noticed the shifter was pulled back about an inch and I moved it back to neutral, so I pulled it back slowly and it slid in. Hope this helps someone.

Back