Logo

2005 Johnson 115 no start with key

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
A few weeks ago I had a hard time starting my boat, it would crank and finally I was able to start it after multiple times with the key turned. I was afraid I would burn out the starter. Well, this past week I turned my key and nada. Just a little humming somewhere on the engine, possibly a relay? I pulled starter off, pulled it apart, cleaned up and put back together as well as replacing starter solenoid. It bench tests fine. I installed starter and it still hums when I turn the ignition key. If I jump the starter from the coil to starter, it will start. My battery cable are good and tight, no corrosion. I'm wondering where the fuse or relays (if any) are that control this. Or gimme some ideas please. Thanks in advance

Check voltage at the starter while holding the key in the crank position. You'll probably need a helper. If no voltage there, check voltage at the starter solenoid. Obviously, if you can start the motor by jumping the solenoid, (You said you started by jumping from coil to starter. I'm not sure what your talking about.) you have sufficient votage. There could be a problem with the ignition switch, or any wiring between the ignition switch and the starter. Battery cables are fine.

Thanks for the replies. I ran a jumper cable from my engine block to the ground post on my battery and it cranked. My ground terminal wire to the battery was oxidized (not green ) like typical salt corrosion. I cleaned it and cranks fine.

Back